Thursday, July 7, 2011

Leslie-Anne's Great White North Race Report - July 2011

Dear Diary,

I just have to tell you about GWN, it was such a learning curve!

The fun began on Friday July 1st when all my TTL friends and supporters met at the pre race dinner. Diary, Cathy was amazing as my support for this race (aka Sherpa Cathy!)

I got the nicest compliment when Toni asked, “Where the other half of Leslie-Anne was?” Diary I was sooooo pleased to hear such a compliment! It was a real ego booster.

Saturday we (TTL and supporters) gathered at Allen Beach to do our pre race stuff. Coach Angie asked that all the strong swimmers start out fast for 200 m and then slow down to race pace.
Well, see if I ever do that again! OMG!! After I did the 200m I had such difficulty regaining my breath there was NO WAY I would be doing that in a race.

That was the 1st lesson learned.

Saturday afternoon hanging around the hotel with every intention of reading when the lovely Richelle stopped by. During the conversation I stated my worst fear was getting a flat, as I didn’t really know how to change one. Now Diary as a triathlete I should know how to change a flat and even Richelle was surprised (and shocked) that I didn’t.
Richelle then spent time with me one on one and coached me through changing a flat. My fear was dispelled and I know now that should I flat during the race at least I would be able to change my tire. Not fast mind you but I could do it.

That was the 2nd lesson learned.

Quiet night, prepped my fuel, clothing, and watched Thelma and Louise, mmmm Diary Brad Pitt was mighty fine in that movie!!! (teehee!)

Race Day dawned a beautiful clear blue sky and I thought wow, I’d be dealing with sun for the 1st time ever!
I enjoyed my breakky and soon we were off to the race.

Diary, you know how I HATE the black condom (aka wetsuit) but Diary I did better in getting most of it on and with Sarah’s hubby to put his hands down my pants pulling form the inside it was on in no time! Diary, you know this has to be done and thank goodness Sarah is cool about Kevin helping out! 

Next thing I’m in the water the for warm up, get a great hug from Coach Angie enroute to my place along the fence.
Diary what happened next surprised even me! I got going in the swim and before I knew it I was starting to have issues! ME~ issues in the swim!!! Just when I got my fecal matter together I saw a male swimmer in true distress. He was having trouble and it was me that got the attention of the vollies in the boats. I made sure he cleared the swimmers before I continued.
Wow, that was a scary thing to see and hear Diary, someone that scared. I did manage to get going and find my groove and when I did, ohhhhh Diary it felt great!

Out of water, found my bike, geared up and headed for the mount line (Ensuring I was pushing from my seat so I was “cool” looking.) I saw Angie and shook my head, as I knew my time was not going to be as I hoped it would be. 36:58 (slower than last year)

Off on the bike! Off comes my fuel bottle, argh, I stopped and a nice person retrieved it for me. Lovely day for bike ride weather wise, not so much road wise. Diary coming through Stony past the construction, hitting one serious bump after another caused my fuel bottle to almost fall out again, thanks to the athlete who told me I saved it. Diary shortly after that I had such a dark cloud of “I don’t want to be here” come over me I knew exactly what Coach Angie experienced during the Calgary Half. I had to make a decision and I did, I would finish the race for the sake of finishing.

Diary somewhere along the way I got back into what I was doing and had SUCH a great ride! Managed not to have to pee until 40k! I faithfully ingested my Infinite and managed to transfer from one bottle to my aero bottle without spilling! I even got a warning for drafting! “Hey Saskatchewan, mind your distance between you and the person ahead of you” We were on a hill! Guess it wasn’t really hill enough. No card though so I thanked the marshall and backed off. (Yes I did eventually pass the guy).
The last 10k into Stony just about did me in Diary. Egad, thank goodness for a sports bra that holds everything in place, as the road was CRAP I tell you!
The last challenge was the car that was trying to turn left up the hill to the dismount line that I almost ran into on my bike! I dropped one loud F-Bomb when I had to brake and drop my gears. I apologized to the spectators and got by the car. Yeesh. Bike time 2:59:01, close to 4 min improvement from last year! 

Diary you know I am not a fan of the run but I had such a good ride that it carried me into the next stage. I forgot my watch at home Diary and I thought it wouldn’t matter but ohhhh it did. The start was a bit dodgy but I managed to pull myself together after 4k or so. Coach Angie saw me at that point, Diary, she is so observant! She knew I wasn’t happy!
The usual gut issues flared but thank goodness for “perfectly placed porta potties”. 

My knee decided to give me major grief very close to the turnaround and I was one ticked off athlete. The others that ran by me as I was limping from tree to tree were so kind to me and one guy even asked if I needed salt. Diary I had to do something as there was NO effin’ way I was going to not finish. I manipulated my knee and it seemed to work and off I headed at a slightly slower pace. (Diary the watch would’ve really helped here). Back towards the home stretch and I was getting hungry, as in nothing in my stomach-start-to-ache-get-dizzy-hungry. Yeah for Heed! I tried the cookies but they didn’t quite work and eventually switched to the oranges, mmmmm tasty!
Just before 19k a man behind me said, “If you keep this pace up I’ll follow you and we will make under 6”
Diary, did I hear him right? He was going to follow me because of my pace! WOW Diary that was an amazing boost for me! 
He was my new best friend and we did get through the last portion of the race. We agreed to walk any hills (he said it would be like adventure racing that way). Diary, I had him on the hills even walking and I did tell him that I would defiantly not walk the last hill to the finish line.
I finished strong but my time for the run was 2:21:18, not what I was hoping for.

My overall time was 5:57:17 most defiantly not what I was hoping for.

Diary, I have to figure out what I can eat that will “stick to my ribs” but not give me too much trouble.
I have to work on my run pace, as I believe I start out too fast. For the 1st time as I neared the last “climb” from the park to the finish line I knew I had more in me, just need to figure out the fuelling thing.
Lesson learned-wear a damn watch!

Diary, this was a learning race and I am glad that I got scared in the swim, as I said to Coach Angie afterwards I tend to get cocky when it comes to the swim. I had a great bike and I learned that I can go faster and I can relax going downhill!
I also learned I need to pace better in the run as I do have a comfortable pace for me and if others like it then more power to me!

Diary for the record I placed 12th in my AG, and I’m ok with that.

Diary get ready for the next push, IMC, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment