Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Tracy's Ironman Canada Race Report 2012

Well a year ago I decided to sign up for IMC for the third time…not sure what possessed me to do this considering I had so many life changes since my last IMC in 2009 but I did it anyway and although it was a tough road to the day, crossing the finish line for the third time answered my questions as to why I do this!


Yes it is for the love of the sport, but mostly for the journey to the final day and then of course the final few seconds as you cross the line and Steve King says “YOU ARE AN IRONMAN. The other reasons I love training for an Ironman is the challenge, the people you meet, the struggles you have the improvements you see all make the ironman journey worth ever moment out on that course on race day.

Tara and I were discussing on the drive out to IMC that, some people will never even run 4km and we swim it. As well, some people will never know what it is like to train your body and mind for this kind of challenge. What we as Ironman athletes do is like no other and after achieving something like this it makes any struggle in life or mental challenge in life seem like a cakewalk. For it was all my marathon training and ironman training over the years that has lead me to a new career path, I never thought I was capable of, never thought I could do, but I have and I am forever grateful to be able to be on route to doing a job I love. To be one of those people that love to go to work cause it doesn’t feel like work. To be able to work anywhere in the world. So for me Ironman is not just about the one-day or the training it is how it has affected my entire being as a person and how it has improved my quality of life.

In my first year of nursing it was a major struggle, selling my house, quitting my career, living with friends, learning how to study again, taking an exam? Holy smokes it was insane but what helped me through it was how in an ironman race you must change your thought process or it can ruin your race, so for me I used this attitude to change my focus and thoughts for exams, life changes and more and it is hard to believe I am starting my third year of nursing, working part time at the hospital and absolutely enjoying every minute of it! Well maybe not every minute, but I see the finish line and I know it will be just like the Ironman finish. Hard work pays off, push through the pain now and you will reap the rewards. Follow your passion and you will find your life purpose!

For the first year of school I could not imagine training for an ironman but once I got my groove and realized I would have 4 months off and could do this thing again, this is why I signed up. I missed the people, I missed the workouts, and I missed it all. This time around, became a true test for me, not having a regular job and regular hours was tough. Having to ride early and then head to work or work and then ride or run after was much harder being a nurse’s attendant and bartender as opposed to sitting in front of a computer all day. The work is so much more physical and there were days where I wanted to quit but I never did, I got almost all my workouts in and never had to miss out. I struggled having to do a lot of rides and runs alone but was thankful for the times I had support, my running buddy Lyle, my TTL buddies…Trevor, John, Jacqui, Leana, Kelly and Tara  it was so much better having someone to do the extreme long stuff with.

In addition to juggling two part time jobs and full time IMC training, I had major health issues. Chronic arthritis in my right knee and hands, many different medications, injections, draining of the knee, cortisone shots, physio, rest, more rest, being told it might not be a good idea to race, worrying about my body was scary but I pushed through it all to overcome all challenges to successfully have the best IMC I have ever had to date.

Okay now on to discussing the day….the nerves were high, even though it was my third one I felt extremely nervous this time around, due to taking the few years off, maybe? Or maybe it was because I felt I was in better shape despite all the injuries. Maybe it was because I had changed a million things just prior to race day (which was always not advised by coach Angie) Or maybe it was because I had a time goal in mind (again not advised by coach Angie ) All and all on August 26, 2012 at 6:45am when I walked into the water all my nerves seemed to disappear, I felt oddly calm and embraced the moments leading up to the gun going off. I did a quick little swim out and back for about 5 mins. I then smiled to all the people around me and had one girl next to me say “do you think all these boys in front of us know how to swim fast or do they just think they can swim fast” I laughed and then thought to myself, “Yikes am I too close to the front? Can I swim this fast? Am I in a good spot?” Then I told myself “ oh well no turning back now” As they started to sing O Canada I started to tear up, the day was finally here the one I had been training so hard for the one I had been an emotional wreck for during the taper weeks leading up to this, it was finally here. OMG I am racing an Ironman I panicked a little but then took a deep breath and said “you got this, you can swim this no problem. You are strong!” I settled down and when the gun went off and I was being pushed, punched kicked, pulled in all sorts of directions I was a bit worried thinking maybe I was too far up. Then I just pushed through it and remembered what Angie always says we would be friends and drinking beers on the beach with all these people so don’t get angry it is a waste of energy. I pushed on through with lots of frustrating moments all the way till the turn around and then that is when I really found my stroke and was passing people left right and center, I thought “wow this slow and steady thing really works, even in the swim, cause I feel amazing right now I feel I could swim for 8km not 3.8 I feel so good right now.” Of course there were moments where my mind would wander off and think “oh no I have to get on that bike after this, and ride so far, what if I get a flat, uhh and then I have to run a full marathon, what was I thinking?” Then I would get back in the moment, I love the swim, I really love to swim, what I love swimming? Crazy because when I first started triathlons I thought this swimming thing is ridiculous- I hated getting out of bed early to swim, I felt useless in the water but here I am 4 years later loving swimming? Loving the open water? Really funny how things change isn’t it?

As I swam closer to the finish of the swim I started to think about riding and knew I had to start out slow and not get caught up in the rush of people cheering you on or racing past. I ran to the strippers they pulled off my wetsuit and I was a bit out of it cause I was not thinking where my T1 bag was then I remembered and had to back track. Ran into the tent and a volunteer followed me. I sat down she dumped my bag out I put on my helmet my shoes, race belt sprayed some sunscreen on and then I was off. Oh I dried my feet too and didn’t wear socks this year on the bike. I think this was a good call as I always find it a bit difficult to get my socks on when my feet are wet and covered in sand.

I grabbed my bike and headed out, I saw TTL peeps at the start and could hear Angie screaming go TRACY, Go, … it was awesome! I took a gel and a few sips of H20 and let my heart rate come down. I was really dogging it and I had a few people say to me as they passed me, you are doing the right thing. I said to myself the entire ride out to Richter to all the people hammering passed me up McLean creek and out to Oliver and Osoyoos, “well I will pass you on the run, I will pass you on the run.” After Mclean Creek heading out to Oliver I started to get some weird cramping in my gut, I thought maybe I needed to pee. So I slowed down to try but there were so many people behind me and I just couldn’t relax enough. I tried again a bit later and it just wasn’t working for me and I thought I have to stop at a porta potty cause I am wasting time slowing down to try and pee. But every time I would see a porta potty I would say no just keep going, next one, next one. Maybe I waited too long to pee cause I later had more gut issues but not sure if this was due to this or not. I got to Keremeos and there was no line I hopped off my bike and peed as fast as I could and when I was at the out and back I hammered it hard, cause I took it easy and figured I would make up some time here and then cruise up Yellow Lake and then hammer it home.

As I started to head towards Yellow lake I took some gas x in hopes this would prevent the cramping from coming back on my run. Seemed to be okay as I started the climb up Yellow Lake. It was great to see TTL supporters both on Richter and Yellow As well the crowds of strangers cheering all of us on as we pushed up yellow lake. The first part felt pretty good and I was just doing some cheesy easy spinning, then the second part of the climb felt super tough and I was a bit concerned until I was starting to descend and realized I was in my big chain ring for the second part of the climb, OOPS….. Uhh not the brightest moment LOL 

I was happy to have no fear on my descend down Yellow Lake, the wind started to pick up which was not a surprise and I was definitely well prepared for riding in the wind. Seemed to have many training days in all kinds of winds! (Just ask Tara, I seem to be a magnet for wind. Hahah ) So my push to the finish line of the bike felt a wee bit tough, not too bad but I was definitely feeling the head wind. My dismount off my bike was great and I headed to grab my run bag, a quick switch of the shoes this time putting on socks, and then hat and I was out of the tent. Telling myself, “slow and steady wins the race,” as I ran slow through town out towards cherry lane, my gut started really acting up, I had to hit a porta potty asap fix the situation and hopefully I would be fine. I felt great after the porta potty and I saw Angie at Cherry lane and I was so comfortable I thought if I can hold this the entire way, I am golden. I will achieve my time goal and might even be able to do my negative split as planned. Well, as we all know anything can happen on race day and we cannot predict how we will feel. I got to about 20km and the gut started up again major cramping that just wouldn’t give. I started to feel extremely bloated and my heart rate strap was annoying the heck out of me so I pushed it down onto my waist by my race belt and that felt a bit better. I stopped at the stations put ice in my hat, took some coke, took some water, this was my plan to do this till I saw chicken soup. But I didn’t see soup and I started to feel worse I didn’t know if I was going to puke or if I was needing salt, and my mouth was extremely dry. At one point I heard them say chicken soup on the opposite side of the road so ran over there and drank some, but it didn’t help. I sucked the salt off the pretzels it didn’t’ help. So I just kept moving I only walked through the stations and I just kept telling myself move in the right direction and you will do this. I saw familiar faces on the run course which was so awesome, I stopped to hug, high five people which really helped me pick it up for a few mins but then I just felt defeated and my legs felt heavy. I was so frustrated how could this be I took it easy on the bike; I took it easy at the start of the run, why is this happening? My plan is not working. I started to look at total time and started to panic, as each mile seemed to be taking me longer and longer to tackle. I was moving but I couldn’t move fast. I saw Angie at cherry lane and told her I am really hurting, she said “ Um it’s an ironman you are suppose to F()*&)(*()&& hurt” Lol. She also told me to not stop anymore, I only had five K. I said “I have to grab water as I can’t even swallow, I have no saliva.” So I did that as I ran through the stations I just grabbed a cup of water to wet my whistle. I Kept moving trying to pick it up. As I approached downtown and heard the cheers I somehow found some energy to pick it up. I saw my nephew on the corner and he ran with me for a bit. “You are doing great” he said. Once I saw him, I have no idea where my energy came from but I started haling ass through lakeshore, my legs were done so I was literally moving my entire upper body to try and gain momentum –not the best biomechanics, but you gotta do what you gotta do to finish an ironman. I saw Michelle and her girls at the turnaround, which was great! Then I just focused on the finish line. As I pushed and pushed it got closer and closer and finally I crossed that line with nothing left, I was done I felt like puking and collapsing. I had done what I wanted to do, I wanted to leave nothing on that racecourse and I did. I was disappointed not being able to negative spilt my marathon but the gut issues and I think lack of nutrition on the run defeated my execution- lessons learned but for all I did, all I gave, the mental struggle, the fun I had cheering people on and having people cheer me on was so worth it and to this day this was my best Ironman. I took time to enjoy it, I learned so much from previous races and I executed everything the way I wanted if it weren’t for the struggles on the run, it wouldn’t be an ironman. For an ironman is so different from any other race, because you never know what will happen, but what I do know is that I will never quit and no matter what struggles I have I will make it across that finish line no matter what! And wow for every year I have been very consistent I have been 15 mins faster each time not sure when my next race will be, probably after I graduate, but I will race another Ironman again maybe the new IMC in 2014. This was definitely not my last; I know I have more to give, more to improve on and more to learn.

Thank you to everyone on the team, thank you to all my friends and family who supported me. Thank you to coach Angie being such a great coach and friend, helping me through my ups and downs this year  And thank you to my mom, she is my biggest fan and without her I would not be the woman I am she has taught me so much and has supported me in all my life choices from the day I was born she has always been my rock. I love you mom. xoxoxoox





No comments:

Post a Comment