Monday, September 27, 2010

Joel's First Olympic

So the race morning wasn’t as early as normal as the race didn’t start until 10am for the OD as they started the half iron before it. I did my run warm up then got ready for the race.

I started the swim way in the back as I was thinking I was going to be slow; I think I only really swam once without major shoulder pain in the last 3 weeks. Needless to say I ended up having to pass one or two people. It was the most swimming I had ever done in the pack, I usually lead the pack and swim alone but definitely not in this race so I was swam over a few times and swam over a few people but I stayed calm and really focused on my hand entry so I didn’t blow out my shoulder! Out of my swim and encountered my “moment of Zen” for the race when I passed 4 or 5 people in the change tent and didn’t even have to worry about drafting.

Then I did a flying mount onto my bike passing another person getting on their bike standing on the mount line. I reset my lap at this point it was 28:50 so I am interested to see what my swim time was. The start of the bike was about ½ km of flat then a 1250 ft switchback climb over 1.5 miles. I kept my HR in check even though I wanted to stand and pass people but I didn’t. The ride on the plateau was really rolling with a pretty big headwind. Then I hit the 12 mile downhill with a 5% grade. It was so long my hips and legs were killing me from being aero at 60-70 km/hr for 15 minutes. So fun and I did not touch my brakes once which was my goal. I definitely had to hold back to keep my HR where I wanted it to be………….I had to keep reminding myself I had a 10km run to do. Then, into transition with a sweet dismount and out onto the run. I made sure to set the lap on my watch to see if I could negative split. The run was hard but I was able to push hard on the last 5 km and negative split by ~1min; 22min out and 21min back. This is likely my first negative split ever. In the end I definitely reached my process goal and even though my bike was slower than I would hope I think it had a lot to do with the course and the wind. I am so amazed that I actually paced myself fairly well!

No results are up yet but I was 9th overall and 2nd in age group with a time of ~2:29. Oh, and the best thing was that I had a summer week-end. It was 20 deg C at race time with a water temp of 19 deg C which made the day that much better. All in all it was a great race and I will be doing more OD tri’s. It makes the training all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment