Friday, September 10, 2010

John's IMC Race Report

Well coach, here it is finally. It has been a week and half since the race, and it has been a time of ups and downs, mentally and emotionally. I have been trying to sort out the race and the training program to get there. Thanks Angie.

I don't know how to post this directly to the race report page, so can you do this for me.?

I am not sure where to start because I have so many things to say. This past race at IMC was a culmination of many emotional hurdles that taught me a lot about who I am and where I want to continue to go in my life. The race showed me about why I love this type of lifestyle, and why I love being around people who enjoy it too. This life of mine is not just about triathlon though, even though some days and weeks I wish it was.

August 29, 2010 is a day I will remember for a while because of the journey it took to get there.What kind of person would do a 12 week Ironman training program to complete a race? What coach would even consider that for an athlete? Thankfully I was well coached and only had myself to blame if destruction befell me.

People asked me over the summer what was on my training program. I kept referring back to one statement, "I don't have one". This was mainly due to the fact that I could only do what I could with the time I had. I didn't have time for this repeat or that training session. I only had the time to reflect on what I had learned over 3 years and somehow apply it into some form of haphazard training schedule. For this I was well coached, and I think I had become a good listener.

Race day, going in was to be a fun day. There was only one goal for me, and that was to have fun. The race was to be enjoyable to the best of my ability. Even finishing wasn't guaranteed, even though I had made it to the start line. I could stand on the beach and be proud of all the other people who had made it there too, because there were so many stories that were being lived out that day. Some wouldn't finish the story that day, but they would be back again another day.

So off goes the gun, and we start walking in. Where is the panic that normally befalls me? Nowhere to be seen! One goal in mind on the swim was to start without panic breathing and get into a steady rhythm asap. Well that happened by the first buoy and I knew I was off to a good start. Long easy stoking, stay out of trouble, and look for openings to swim in. Be in my own bubble! I know it is hard to judge ones pace in the water without stopping to look at your watch, but I had my most relaxed swim and didn't work very hard at all. After the second house boat turn,I knew I was doing okay and didn't have to press coming home.

T1 - change outside and don't talk. I would allow that later. Move move move and get going. Things were looking up.

Out on the bike, I could hear TTL screaming before I got on my bike. One can't cry when one is smiling so much. Ooooohh what a feeling! Stop to say hi to the gang and another quick kiss to my wife, one of 6 on the race course. Is that a record? Forgot to ask where my niece was, but somehow knew she was behind me. That would not last long as she passed me before Maclean creek, and I wouldn't see her pass me again. She stayed in front the rest of the way. There was no need trying to keep up or catch, it would not be that kind of day. I still can't figure out why training camp rides are so much harder than race day, but my bike was easy cheesy most of the way. The only issue I had was not stopping early enough to use the facilities when necessary. I stopped when I needed to and stopped where I could. I kept surprising Shannon by passing her 4 times I think because of potty breaks. I need a bigger bladder, or at least a catheter next time. The one thing about riding at the back is that you miss all the rain and hail. I don't know what everyone else was complaining about, our ride was a nice cool training day. The only thing that sucked was how lonely it was going up Yellow Lake. At least 90% of the people had left, but then I heard my cowbells going and up the hill we went. I kept encouraging 3 other guys to keep churning out the spins on the hill, keep turning over those legs to make it to the top. And then I stopped for another kiss! What a way to do a race, no pressure.

T2 - gotta remember the quietness of getting going again. Go pee, get shoes, get going, gone! Running out the gate, better slow it down.

2 things needed to happen on the run course, get out there early enough for my picture to be taken before dark, and don't explode bfore OK falls. Well I met this little lady at mile 2 who I decided would be my check valve. Nola and I ran/walked for the next 24 miles together. We had so much fun together we even got an advisory for 'pacing' each other. What is that about? Next warning would be a penalty. Its after 6pm and we weren't even in OK Falls yet. It gave us another half an hour to talk about something new. I didn't see the camera guy out there, but he must have seen us. We definitely paced each other, walking and talking. Guess who got the most words in edge-wise? We encouraged each other to run when we didn't want to and kept each other going when it didn't seem like a good time was being had by anyone. We plodded along, and we prodded each other to go. We posed for pictures when there was another opportunity, and we made new friends along the way. We supported each other and almost finished together, but ladies first of course. And I had to stop in the chute for one last kiss before the finish line.

One thing I need to remember for next time. Look for the camera or something else besides the 2 crazy ladies jumping up and down at the finish line trying to make you cry. Well it worked and now I have to go back and get a decent finish line photo. 2 tries now and both pictures kind of suck. Next time in 2 years will be better. And one more thing, if I want to raise my arms in victory, next time I better shave my pits too.

So all in all it was a great day of racing. My goals of good race management went as planned, for the most part. I definitely had fun out there on the course, but not in a crazy Ally sort of way. The day was not about me, but watching and hearing how other people were doing on the course was more a priority. Seeing fellow TTL teammates on course, and the spectators cheering us on is an awesome thing to have and hold close to my heart. To have someone jump out and say "I'm so and so's dad or mom" and my reaction is blank for a second until I could remember, was so much fun. To know we had the support of our team and families is what makes it special. Keep up the good work.

In closing, it sure would be nice to race injury free for once in a long time. I'd like to know what I could really do, if healthy. But then I guess I just did that, doing what i could really do under the circumstances given me. I am so thankful to be alive and able to participate with friends! You just don't really know what it means to me. Thank you.

1 comment: