Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sarah's Hawaii Race Reports - 2 in 1!!

June 2. 2012- Kahakuloa Coast Half-Marathon (Maui)


When I planned my trip to Maui I had planned to do one race which was the South Maui Triathlon. But I came across a half marathon that I could not turn down. I had a two hour run that day anyways…. So why not run a half marathon

When I read about the race it said challenging, hilly and beautiful…. Need I say more, why not you only live once! I had ridden my bike several times in the area of the run and yes it is hilly! There is one hill that is names the wall! It is a 22% and it is long.

The morning of the June 2 2012 arrived luckily it was only a 10 min drive. Once I got to the start location (DT Fleming beach) I checked in a dn got my race number. As you all know the bathroom is pretty important prior to a race…. Unfortunately all the washrooms were locked so to the bushes it was, I think it would be wise to bring TP to future races

The race started at 6:30 am and this was the Kahakuloa Coast Half-Marathon so I was happy to be a part of it. 6:30 sharp we started off we were up a very long hill but I was smiling! I managed to pace this one girl which great!

As we started up another hill it was very rewarding with a cliff and ocean at your side. It felt like for every hill you were rewarded with the most spectacular view. We then came into a tiny fishing village and then came the rally big hill, I made it up but slowly…. For parts of the run my husband would join me on his road bike and we would have a quick chat and the odd photo.

As most of you don’t know my grandmother passed away the other week. I did this run in memory of my granny who lived in England (Wales) and for my mum as I love her to bits and she is a great supporter of my triathlons.

There were parts of the run that reminded me of England very narrow road, hilly, windy and the ocean at your side. This race had about 7 aid stations and was very well organized. As I was approaching the end you were up quite high looking down on the most amazing tiny community, and cliff all around, and the ocean crashing and the small church, the local kids cheering you on and welcoming you into their community. All the kids would race each finisher through the finish line and they had a blast doing it!

Everyone received the best finisher’s medal; it is shaped out to be Maui, with the little church that land marks the tow where the race ended.

All proceeds went to help maintain their local church. We were welcomed into the community with breakfast, and live Hawaiian music which topped off the morning.

If anyone travels to Maui around June 2 I HIGHLY recommend this run. This race will be one I will forever remember as one of those special memories, not for my PB but for an everlasting memory I never forget.



South Maui Triathlon: June 10, 2012

3:30 am came pretty quickly on June 10, 2012. The race started at 6:05am at the Wailea beach on Maui. There were a lot of people from USA, few from Japan, Italy, Canada, Spain, Australia, and China.

Previously to the race I had been doing a lot of open water swims on Maui to get use to the ocean swimming, I tell you it was nice to be able to look down and see the bottom and see sand, fishes and beautiful blues, and sometime a turtle…

I was a bit nervous to start as it was my first ocean swim. Off the horn went, I placed myself on the outside at the right near the front. I hoped over some waves and when it was safe to dive in I was off! I just kept thinking be calm and breath, oh and have fun!:) I got into a great pattern and off I went. I was passing people and then I started passing the men who left 5 min prior to the women! I then started to look down to enjoy the view once we passed the first buoy there was no view of the bottom just deep blue ocean, so I started singing in my head “ just keep swimming” from Finding Nemo and that got me calm….

Angie, I sprinted around the first buoy and that helped a lot and a got a little more aggressive…. It was the last stretch of the swim and I as having so much fun! I could have just kept swimming! I am more of a pool swimmer, but I must say one could get use to tropical swimming…. The finish of the swim came, and I felt so happy about the swim part.

There was a good hill up to T1 and my bike was located the farthest end which was good for the bike exist. There were hills for the first part of the bike ride, and then some downhill with a head wind and gradual up hill on the way back.

T2 came and went and then it was off to the run. Felt good at the start and there was nice downhill at the beginning, but you know what that means….. This run was HOT, not much wind and there were hills, thank goodness for sponges! The end was nearing and the last KM was downhill which was awesome and at this point I felt like I could just freaking run!

I was so happy with my results. Compared to last year’s OD triathlons I improved by about 20 min, and I place 5th in my age cat.

Angie thank you for believing in me and putting together wonderful programs, you the best!

Mahalo!

Sarah Van Tine

No comments:

Post a Comment