Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Leslie-Anne's 3 in 1 race report-Spring 2012

So far my 2012 race season has had several ups and downs attached to it.




I started off with the “Big Run” May 5th. I deliberately avoided the Police Half as it is notoriously bad for weather that weekend. Well the race Gods decided to mess with my plan and switched the bad weather weekends.



The Police Half was nice and sunny with dry roads and pathways throughout the course. The Big Run, however, was the complete opposite.



Nothing like a half mary in a blizzard! Last aide station had slurpies not just water, that’s how much snow fell! I was done at 15k and somehow managed to finish. I was cold, tired and very miserable at the end of the race!



To summarize; a very challenging day weather, course and internal issues-wise, it was one for the record books and bragging rights abound for those that completed any of the distances that day!



Things had to be better for the Calgary Half Marathon 3 weeks later. Putting the previous run behind me, I focused on how I could complete the half and be close to or even better my PB.



I decided to make a few dietary changes about 2 to 3 days prior race day and went prepared to the race with instant dissolve Imodium. I also took a bit more time to warm up, keep to myself and focus on how I was going to make it through the 21.1 kms ahead.

I missed the start but wasn’t too worried, too crowded anyways and yeah for chip timing.



I had to stop during the Calgary half, lost a total of 5mins 30 sec but after that I didn’t stop once, NOT ONCE!! That is a new record for me! Most inspiring thing for me was when I was passing two runners just after the 15km mark, I overheard, “ Don’t let people passing you get to you, they will not be able to sustain that pace” I smiled as I knew I have (and still struggle with) been there. That being said, I thought to myself, “He has no idea where I have come from and how hard I’ve trained!” So when I passed them I simply said, “I’ve earned this” and kept on going!



Coming into the finish line for this race was the 1st time my rugby spirit wanted to straight-arm every single person in front of me. I was ready to pour it on and everyone else seemed to slow to impulse! I did not get the time I was seeking but I executed the best half I’ve ever done and that was a HUGE boost for my self-confidence as a runner.



I was so thrilled with how I felt at the end of that race. It taught me I can and will do better!











My long awaited triathlon season began with the Vulcan Tinman. I last did this race in 2010, had fun and thought it would be a good race to start the 2012 season.



Due to my swim time I was slated in the 20th heat, 2nd last for the day. This was the same time as Angie’s all I said to her was as long as we weren’t in the same lane I would be fine. We car-pooled and arrived approximately 10:30am, (our heat was 4:15pm btw). She had family members participating as well as fellow TTL’er, Danny Woo competing in his 1st triathlon.



For those of you that have travelled to and from races with Angie, it is quite the adventure. A word of warning: if your personal gear is anywhere near Angie’s and she does a scoop of her gear be forewarned, your gear is fair game. I was in “defcon 3” (military term of urgency, defcon 1 being all out emergency, state of war) when I couldn’t find my bike shoes. As it turned out Angie scooped them with her stuff and wondered whose shoes were beside all her transition set up gear!



Race time was on and in the water I go. Not a fan of such a start but that is the challenge of a sprint! The key was to keep calm and keep my breathing at an even pace. 20 lengths seemed to end quickly and I dashed towards the timing mat that seemed sooooo far away!



Hopped on the bike and out I went knowing that Angie was going to be in hot pursuit (I know she started after me as I saw her on the deck). Good incentive for me to push myself on my new bike! Headwind on the out, just how long can 7.5km be?! Hit the turnaround and zoom! What a blast with a tailwind! Angie did catch me at transition and was off on the run “lickety split”

The run was the run was the run. 5km can be a challenge and I had some! My breathing was too rapid and I had to slow my pace in order to keep my heart rate from going too crazy. I eventually settled it and the latter half was better than the 1st half. Angie coached me in for the last kick, which I found very beneficial and will utilize that learning in future. It’s different being one of the last racers on the course due to my swim time but the fan support at the end was amazing.

Great race, good times, and a pleasing result: 36th overall, 7th Female overall, 1st in my Age Group. Swim 8:56, Bike 28:40 Run 26:43 Total Time: 1:04:18 (PB in all events from 2010)



This is a fun race to kick start the season with, family friendly and fantastic atmosphere!

Note to self: Eat before I race and not wait for the end, as there will be nothing left!



No taper for this gal as I headed into the week before Wasa starting with a 120km ride Bragg Creek to Elbow River Falls the day after Vulcan. Challenging but fun, breath taking scenery and the weather was lovely. I was reminded once again of my absolute dislike for descents, as I had to stop and regroup my poop before continuing out of Elbow River Falls. I finished the ride on a positive note and the next time won’t be so hard.

Afterwards, nothing a cold beer at a bar-b-que with fellow TTL athletes and family members didn’t cure. What a way to end a fantastic weekend of racing and riding! Thank-you John and Wilma!

Wasa Olympic was a race that I signed up long before any others. The reason I could was I knew it was held before the CFL season would begin. That was the deal this year between Roger and I, no signing up for races until we knew when we would be heading to Regina for the Rider home games!



I was ready for Wasa, and was looking forward to this fun filled race I have heard so much about. Booked my accommodations and my good friend Stacey Boivin and her adorable 4-month-old son Jacob joined me for the weekend.



The weather did not look promising but we held onto the hope that race day would be somewhat decent. We drove through rain on Friday and watched the temperature hover around 7c all day Saturday. At least we did not drive through snow as many others had to!



One thing about arriving on Friday and having all day Sat to hang about was I was completely rested for the race. This is something that does not occur enough for me with my hectic lifestyle. I did manage an easy 20min pre race run on Saturday morning.

I did not partake in the pre race swim in the afternoon. I am comfortable enough in open water and I commended all those that did go in. One of which was an honorary TTL’er from my rugby days. Todd fit right in with everyone and was so excited to be prepping for his first Oly.



During race package pick up it was confirmed the 1500m swim was shortened to 750m due to the water temperature and outside air temperature. All I was hoping for was dry roads for the bike; the cold temps were not as much of a concern.



Sunday we were up early and arrived to get a fairly good parking spot. I have to admit there was a moment or two that I seriously considered not doing the race. The inner triathlete and to step up and say, “Just do it, you’ll be ok and will have a fun day”.

My internals cooperated with me and with assistance from my friend “Emo”, I was hoping for a non-gut issue kind of day. I got just that! Yeah baby!!



I set up my transition area with Todd and a couple of other former and current rugby players an immediately named our area “rugby row”. Very cool to have friends from another sport that have moved into triathlons! My spirits were uplifted! So much so I was able to get my wetsuit on all by myself! Wow! “I’m a big girl now!”



I watched the sprint athletes come out of the water and some did not look good at all. I decided that this was not going to be a day to set any records in the water, no need to kill myself there even though it is my best event. That meant I would save it for the bike and the run instead.



Saw Todd off from the swim to bike and headed to the beach myself. Stopped to say hello to a few people and almost missed the swim start! D’oh! Ran to my spot, left side, walked into the water, warmed my wetsuit and dove in and walked back out.

Yup, the water was effin’ cold! I did not have to wait long before we started and that was a good thing!

As far as the swim goes, I was calm and to be honest, enjoyed the swim regardless of the cold water. That is how much I love open water swimming. I got past many athletes and on the home stretch really started to get my swim mojo going. I had to laugh as one swimmer tried to keep pace with me, she seemed to like to swim right beside me which I tried to avoid and eventually she couldn’t keep the pace (heh heh) and dropped back.

Out I got and had some difficulty getting my zipper down, manual dexterity was somewhat challenged! Suit stripped (I SO love that part!) and off to the bike.



Swim Time: 14:44, 1st in my Age Group!



The choice of clothing for the swim included a tight fitting t-shirt and a tight fitting long sleeved tech shirt, worked perfect under my TTL jacket. I put gloves on, as I did not want to get cold hands on the bike. What I didn’t have was anything for my feet. I knew there were there but couldn’t feel them!



The bike was out and back on a clean smooth road with a slight headwind to contend with until the turnaround. I used this opportunity to practice getting comfortable in my aerobars and learned I can do just that! Lots of “cat and mousing” going on that made for a fun ride. I was pushing myself and even with cold legs and no feeling in my feet I urged myself onwards. I had my cadence but no speed, must remember to check that before the race starts! Glad to see the bike marshals out checking for drafting.

I had my sights on one athlete in my age group and worked on passing her inside 2km left on the bike. Good push for the end and I encouraged myself to spin my legs with 700m or so left to prep for the run. Clean dismount and ran to my transition spot on what I believed were my feet.



Bike Time: 1:21:39, 3rd in my Age Group and a PB!



Now the run is on and I knew I had to play this one as smart as possible. I did not wear my gloves or TTL jacket but left my long sleeved shirt on. Got my runners on, tied up and was off. I even managed to get my watch on (yes, my watch) and start the timer as I crossed the timing mat. The gloves helped with the maintaining of manual dexterity!



The one thing the gloves did not help was my feet. I could not feel them! I thought of the character Eugene Levy plays in the movie, “Best in Show”, he has two left feet, and I looked down to see if I had put my runners on the correct feet they felt that odd! I had to laugh at myself and hope that they eventually would warm up. They did, around the 3km mark and that is when I thought I had something in my shoe. I tried to ignore it but Angie’s voice was in my head telling me not to ignore and to fix the problem when it starts versus trying to solve an issue later on. No sticks or stones in my shoe just the defrosting going on and they simply “felt funny”.


The run continued and I was happy with my pace. I slowed up a bit to take in some water (not Gatorade, blech that stuff is horrid!).

I started to get a bit warm and that sensation always challenges me so I removed my long sleeved shirt and instantly felt better.

I really pushed through the last 2 km. Going past the finishing area is torturous at the best of times and it seemed to take me forever to get back to that place. I remembered how Angie coached me in at Vulcan and began to do the same thing as I came to the finish again. I challenged myself and overtook a 30yr old in the last 10m or so!

I almost lost my cookies after crossing the finish line but took a few deep breaths and I was ok.

I stopped my watch and thought I might have come close to a PB in a “stand alone” 10k let alone part of a triathlon.



Run time 55:08, 10th in my Age Group PB for an Oly distance (and just shy of my PB stand alone 10k by 9 seconds)



End result was 4th in my Age Group overall, yeah me!



This was the best Olympic distance race for me so far. I had a blast and will seriously think about doing Wasa again next year. The volunteers were SO good, the food at the end excellent and lots of it. The camaraderie with new and old friends (in a new sport) added to the weekend experience.



We all enjoyed some Wasa sun that came out for the rest of the day, yummy food and yes, a beer, Pilsner beer of course!



Thanks everyone for a great race!

No comments:

Post a Comment