Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Jenny's Calgary Half Marathon Race Report - May 29, 2011

My update is funny……

The start of my race was almost like one of my worst nightmares as a ‘runner’. I used to have nightmares about races where I missed the start because I was so late and I ended up having to run like a mad-woman to catch up with the rest of the runners.

Well, Sunday a.m. – I got there with only 4 minutes to spare. I have been so tired with all of my volunteer work (at my kids’ school) & work that I slept in on Sunday a.m.
I always like to have a breakfast & you know…do the bathroom thing before I leave my house. So I actually didn’t leave my house until 6:30!
My warm-up was literally running up that little hill next to Murdoch park to the start line.

I’ve always had a problem with pacing. I wanted to start off conservatively & save energy for the end. However, no matter how hard I tried, my garmin kept showing 5:10-5:13. At times, I was going 4:55. It didn’t feel like I was pushing myself though. I was pretty consistent until about 16km or so & then I started to feel the work in my legs. But this time, I didn’t give up. I kept forging ahead. I told myself words that Angie taught me….countdown to hurt. My milestones were the bridges. Heading east on Memorial….I knew that I had to make it from 14th St. bridge to 10th St. bridge. And then from 10th St. bridge to Centre St. bridge. As soon as I got to Centre St. bridge, I knew I was close to finish.

My chip time said 1:52. It’s faster than my last half, which was Last Chance half. So I feel pretty good, but my goal this year is still to finish in 1:50 or under. I’ve done it before & I know I can do it again!

After the run when I went to get the refreshments, I had the WORST charlie horse cramp in my calf when I was going up the hill from the park to street level. I thought that if I were to straighten my leg my calf would burst. So I collapsed at the steps going up from Murdoch park. I couldn’t believe it when this fellow runner came by & said, ‘…..excuse me…but where did you get the food?’. I thought to myself…..’I’m dying here & you’re not even going to help me?’. One of the race crew members saw me & said she’ll get me medical help. A physiotherapist came to help me up & helped me walk over to the medic tent where I got some ice treatment. It was weird as I don’t usually get Charlie horses. It took a while for that cramping to go away.

Overall, a pretty good day. Now I’m trying to decide whether or not to do Footstock Du and I think I’m going to try for that sub 1:50 at the Stampede Roadrace in July (hosted by Strides Running Store).

Thank-you Angie for your programs. You always push me & challenge me. One of these days I hope to accomplish my goals. I know I can get there!




Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment