Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Shannon's Calgary Half Marathon Race Report - May 29, 2011

Despite the fact I am not finished my Ironman Canada race report, I was compelled to get the race from yesterday completed so it actually is off the plate of things to do.

I woke up Sunday morning and thought of 5 different reasons I would tell you I was not going to race. I did not want to race AT ALL. Not sure why I have felt like this last 2 races but it’s how I have been feeling. Part of it this time was probably just getting over bronchitis and wondering how my breathing would cope during the race. Part of it is the stresses of a sick father-in-law and work. After lying there for 10 minutes I decided I need to get a long run in anyways so might as well do it with the team. Once I was on the road heading to Calgary, I started to feel better.

Walking from the C-train, I heard my name and looked up to see familiar Team Trilife colors on Kelly. Great to see her and Mitch and to meet Jill, Kelly’s sister-in-law. Tried to find team at the starting line – no luck. Heart sunk a little – went to go run a little to warm up and wouldn’t you know there was the team. It was great to see everyone even for a few minutes. Chatted with Nola for a while and found out she was taking it easy as she had been sick and her back was causing here issues. We decided to run together and that was the best thing that could have happened. We started out slowly, slower than I wanted but I really wanted the company. My legs were trying to pick up pace but Nola kept saying, “I am going to slow it down, go ahead if you want”. Part of me wanted to, but more of me wanted to stay with Nola. It was a great run – Nola kept my mind off the time and we had a great visit. You know how bad I am with nutrition. At one point Nola said she was taking her gel. I decided I would to. Without her, I would have skipped the gel. With 2 km left, my stomach started to ache and I wanted to stop more than anything. Nola kept talking to me and helped me get through that feeling and we made it to the end. It wasn’t a PB on the clock (although pretty good time for me all things considered) but it was a PB race for me on the satisfaction scale. I got to spend a great morning with a fellow teammate and friend, I only walked 3 times at water stations, I actually took in some nutrition and I did not blow up in the last 5 km as I always have in the past.

I am taking a few things from this race to use moving forward:

1. I need to pace myself properly. I have tried in the past unsuccessfully. Much more satisfying to start out slow and finish strong.

2. I think nutrition is helpful – LOL

3. Running with a friend is extremely helpful. I train a lot of long distances on my own. I need to find more training partners to help the long bikes and runs.

4. At different times in training there are different circumstances. Adjusting races to these issues and focusing on execution is not only smart, but very rewarding.

Thanks Nola for a great run – you made my day.



Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment