Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Leslie-Anne's Calgary Half Marathon Race Report - May 29, 2011

Calgary Half Marathon

This race did not scare me. I was the most relaxed I have ever been before a race. Not sure of the reason, I will go with I was ready for the distance and knew I would finish it.

I did complete the race. I did not come in time-wise where I would have liked but did come ahead of the Police ½ (both times I’ve done that race).

Early to rise, early start which meant I had to be at the LRT for the 5:20am departure to make the 7a race start. Decided it was a good chance to experiment on the pre race meal so a piece of toast and peanut butter with a cup of coffee some sugar no cream. Worked like a charm. J

I dashed out the door and had forgotten my fuel belt (water and liquid food), which meant my lip balm as well. The belt is like Linus's blanket to him! I did ok without it and next race I will not carry it. Missed the lip balm tho, that I won’t forget!
Met a few other TTLr’s on the train, what a great feeling to know I had people to talk to enroute to the venue.

The weather was perfect, not a cloud in the sky, which was good as it was a tad chilly to start. Once the sun started to warm things up it was lovely. Pre race warm up with everyone and thanks to whoever it was that said I was “wasting away” WOW! You made my day!!! J
Headed to the start line and we were off!
In the 1st kilometer or so I was asked me when I got my capris, I said a couple of months ago why “They are completely see though, nice thong though” AH!!! I flipped my number around and continued to pull my shirt down and worried about the “view” for the rest of the race! Yikes!
Final (gun) 2:18:11:32, chip time 2:16:23:38. I'm ok with it. I still had some left in me at the end, which is great news!

As the day went on I processed the race and decided it was a good day overall. Not really keen on the time and the fact my knee flared but how I was doing when I was running was key.
Gut issues were right on cue, which means I know when they are going to occur and that is that. I thought I would get away with the last one as I hit the 18k mark but no...I thought I was done but! The best thing happened there were the port-a-potties right then and there with NO line-up! I get in I get out, works for me.

I did notice I got into more "zones" than before and when I did that I was passing people and this occurred more after the turnaround point. I took notice of the people that were beside me when I would stop for the loo or my knee flaring and I would work to catch up. These to me are good signs as I can problem solve and recover.
The knee thing is my meniscus just letting me know it's not happy when I push it so I listen and back off. Must remember to take my "vitamin I" before the race.

My legs were also tired from a very challenging 1hr53min bike ride (on my trainer) on Saturday that was composed of mostly low cadence "hill climbing" along with a time trial that I had the trainer in the wrong setting for! No wonder it was so hard! D’OH!

Early start, early finish! Got home, had a shower made myself a yummy omelet, toast, coffee and read the newspaper all by noon! Even got some errands done and when that was over had a beer and clamato juice, with some nachos on the side while sitting on the deck. I even grabbed a 20min catnap in the sun, ahhhhhhhhh :-) Beer is wonderful!
For a lovely cap of the day a barbequed steak dinner, red wine and my fav dessert after a race: small hot fudge sundae from DQ!

A great day for me, all good as I work towards that little ol’ race the end of August… J

No comments:

Post a Comment