Friday, September 9, 2011

Christine's Calgary 70.3 Race Report - August 2011

Ironman 70.3 Race Report


Well, I have a new found respect for all of you. This was hard – and when I finished as I was bawling my head off I was saying "that was really &*$*^%& hard, wholly shit, that was really ^&$*#&% hard – sorry my children – I think some sort of shock was hitting, and Bertha the Truck driver came pouring out. But with that being said, I completed my goals…To not poop my pants and to not look like I have cerebral palsy when I cross the finish line, check and check.

So for me race day started the Friday before when I had a wonderful chat with team mate Amanda. She told me about my box.

How to try to stay in my box the whole race and she shared with me how she stayed in her box during her first half. So my goal was now to stay in my box, not to poop my pants and to not look like I have cerebral palsy when I cross the finish line. From Friday night on, I was trying to not worry, I had done what I could and there was no changing the past – it is what it is, was my mantra.

Staying with Angie and Tara the night before was fun and we shared a great meal – I was trying to be Zen, and I think I accomplished this – nerves were only bad during the bike set up. I went for a great pre-race swim with Carla and a nice guy in a canoe told us where to sight. I was in my element and felt some confidence.

Race Day.

I was excited and ready to go. During the swim – for the first time I stayed in my box. "What do I need to do right now, to keep moving forward", "how do I feel in my body"? I concentrated on my pull stoke and sighting, feeling good, and I was all alone, I think most people swam much further than they needed - thanks canoe guy.

Out of the water I cheered, I am doing a 70.3, wow. Change good, once again, "what do I need to do right now to keep me moving forward", "how do I feel in my body"? My focus was on my equipment – do I have what I need – check. Time 47 minutes (not my greatest time, but it will do)


The Bike

The bike always worries me, this is my weakest event and I am traditionally very slow – I was worried about bike cut off, but that was out side of my box, so I just kept checking in "how do I feel right now", "what do I need to do to keep moving"? Fueling went well, and I actually liked this course, for every up hill there was a good down hill – where I excel. I was able to pass a lot of people on the down and I was not all alone – I actually had to worry about drafting – this is only the second time that I had to worry about this. My biggest issue is with the seat. The pain is excruciating, but thanks to Trevor and his helpful, tingly, cool anit-chafing cream, I was okay – not great, but okay. The last twenty minuets were a bit tough, but as I was checking in I noticed that my legs were getting tired, so I decided to slow down. I did not like to do this as the cut off time was still on my mind, but once again, being in my box, I addresses the legs getting tired, not the worry of the cut off time. I came into transition, yeah, I made the time.

3:55.xx (slow compared to most of you, but the best 94k I have every done)


The Run –

This was tough from the beginning, it was hot, way hotter than any other day of the year – I had been training at about 6:30/km – this was lost and it did not take much to have a super high heart rate. I was able to keep this pace for about ½ to ¾ of the race. Every aid station felt like miraculous oasis in the desert. I just held onto my box as much as possible, one foot in front of the other, and stay in my box. At 7k the most sensational crowed welcomed me, Team tri life was there cheering me on, proud of me, asking me what I needed. This was such a welcome treat, all of you helped me keep moving. JoZ, was great when she grabbed my shirt and sports bra and dumped a freezing cold glass of ice water into it. It was there until almost the next aid station, I sounded like a moving rum and coke – it made me laugh, it made me feel not alone, the sound of ice sloshing in my boobs was a great sound. I also picked up an orange sponge either at the team tri life station or the next station – this sponge became my greatest companion (but more about that later.

I still felt okay but the turn-around and after the first aid station on the way back. It was around 13 -14k that I felt like something was wrong, staying in my box I asked myself - "What do I need to do right now, to keep moving forward", "how do I feel in my body"? I just started to feel not well. I hit the tri life aid station and I said to Sara, I think, something is wrong – I had to pee, really bad. It is amazing that a simple, normal bodily function can set your whole system off when you are pushing yourself to your limits. I also think that I was loosing clarity of my nutrition – I had lost count of my gels, so I peed, had a gel and some coke with a lot of water – AAAHHHH much better. Good to go, I was running again until that masochistic big *&$#@Q* hill that they make us go up near the end of the run. I saw my son and could not look at him because I was hurting and seeing him I started to cry and then I felt like I would hyperventilate (STAY IN YOUR BOX). Another aid station and once again good to go…

And that was the last of my box and being good to go. I made it to about 18 k and totally lost it. I was swearing like a truck driver, why and I &#@$&# doing this, this hurts so #&@#&$ much, what the #$@*& was I thinking, it is way to #&@#& hot, there is no way that I will ever do this &$#@& again, No @#$&# way I could do Ironman. In hind sight I feel bad about the poor families that were there with their kids having picnics with there kids, when a crazy lady swearing like nobody's business, goes walking by. My feet were so sore from being wet for so long (because I would douse myself with water at every aid station). I felt sorry for myself and my only salvation at the time was that orange sponge that I had associated with team tri life. I kept dabbing that into my cleavage and trying to bring up cold water for my face and back. It was just so hot. I bonded with that sponge –it's okay, we'll make it – oh my beautiful sponge". At about 19k, I some how found my box again, and I loudly "Christine get in your box". "What do I need to do right now, to keep moving forward", "Just keep going", because there were several times that I looked at a shady patch under a tree and thought, I could just curl up and sleep – "back in the box", and back I went, knew that I would finish, so I started to run again (I walked mostly from 17k on) – well actually not run, more like a slow jog, but I was going again. I jogged from 20-21.1k. Me and my buddy, the orange sponge made it.
There is a huge jump from Olympic to 70.3 for me.

Run time 2:55 – slowest half, ever.


Do I train as consistently as I should, no, do I struggle with life and my kids and the rough year that I have had, yes, did I go as fast as I would like, HELL NO, did I get there doing the best the I could, with what I have, HELL YES. I finished.

In hind sight, I want to do it again – God what is wrong with me.


Special Thanks

Angie of course – for everything
Amanda – for the company and prep talk – your words were pivotal to me finishing.
Tara for the company and companionship before the race
Sara and Mike - for helping me get my bottle ready the day before the race and helping me stay calm
Steve – for the use of his bathroom
Rochelle – for helping me with my wet suit
Canoe guy – great advice for the swim
Trevor – for the tingly crotch cream
Mike, Angie, Tara, Trevor and Carla – for encouraging me on the run
Team Tri life at the aid station members
Amanda – for the great yell – Christine is coming and your encouragement – it stayed with me the whole race
Kelly – your smile and visible pride, it was tangible
Danny - your cheers, kindness and not letting me drink the bad water
Kelvin – for opening my gel
Paddy and Trish – for your cheers
JoZ – for your being you and telling me that you love me and for the cold water down my pants and shirt, and the ice cold coke
Sara – for your kindness and encouragement when I was coming back and said to you "something is wrong" and you gave me nutrition - what that was – I can not remember – I only remember kindness and encouragement. I also want to thank you for your kindness when I was peeing in the bushes – I still remember saying – "is this okay, this is gross", and you replied - "your doing great, its okay".
Other team mates that were cheering me on, not judging me for peeing in my clothes in the bushes and for the amazing concrete felt support
My Orange Sponge – which I still have, who became my friend during this long day.
Tara for waiting for me and being there at the end
Angie again – I remember being about 18 and watching Kona, and thinking I would love to do an iron man one day. Thanks for helping me reach 70.3 miles of a life long goal.

I know that I am not ready for a full Ironman yet, my kids are still too little and this has been too tough of a year – when my life is more stable I will do an Ironman – maybe on my 45th, three years from now. Next year I will do more half's and master this level more. For now I am very proud of myself and proud of all of team tri-life.

Thanks Team Tri Life

No comments:

Post a Comment