Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Trevor's IMC 2011 Race Report

I arrived in Penticton on Tuesday with the family. It was hot!! Hotter than we had been used to in Calgary. Checked into the hotel and checked everything out that the town had for the kids,etc.
I was getting antsy on Wednesday and was happy when others from the team started to show up. I really enjoyed the dinner at Smith & Co on Thursday night.It was really a good way to break the ice with the other families as well as for us to thank our families again for all the hard work they put into this journey for us as well. I had to stare at the fat guy picture of me again on the slide show and finally put to bed the idea that I was still him.
We did a few swims, easy runs, and a descent of Yellow Lake a few days before the race. That was nice to have in the pocket come raceday.
Enjoyed the athletes dinner. Steve King rambled on a bit, but it was amazing to see the Jordan Rapp story again. Was good to sit with the other racers and digest a bit more of what we were going to do in 2 days.
Saturday was a bit stressful as I had to drive up to Kelowna and pick up my M-I-L and change rooms at the hotel. But once that was done, I tried to relax as best I could.

Race morning Michelle and I walked down and dropped off SN bags where we said our good- byes and I met up with Shannon. The two of us got bodymarked, walked to our bikes,etc. I don’t think she realizes how nice it was to have her around at that time. With her being a veteran, she seemed pretty calm and that levelled me off. Saw Cindy,Richelle,Lesley-Anne. I got the suit on with help from some friendly volunteers named Kelly and Tara. Again, they settled my HR down. Waded down into the water and got wet. Saw Danielle and Ken and we wished each other good luck. Had a group hug and then it was go time. O Canada again, then the gun went.
I was a bit emotional as we sang. It's been an amazing 3 year journey from a 255 lb couch potato to here. A svelt 200lb athlete!! This is what I trained for. This is why I didn't do any other Race Report's this year. This was the moment I had waited for.
2851 age groupers for the largest mass start in Ironman history. HERE WE GO!!!

Swim 1:14:00

I had decided against wearing the Garmin in the water. Didn't want something crazy to happen and lose it. So left it in T1 bag. There was lots of action in the water.
I really felt like I was being pulled out to sea in the mass. I started off to the left and a few people back. Thought I could hang in the middle and enjoy the swim. Was a kickfest for the first few hundred metres, but it seemed to settle down for me a bit until the first turn. So much contact!!! Glad I am a bigger guy, and it didn't seem to phase me too much. At one point on the small 400m straight away, I got kicked in the gut. That actually stung a bit. I really questioned at that point how I could get kicked in the middle of my stomach, but I kept going. The 1800m back seemed to take a while, but got to the shore, stood up, looked at my cheap old Nike watch and it read 1:13:xx. I was quite happy with that.

T1 9:47

I got nothing. I honestly have no idea why this took so long. I got out of the water, grabbed my T1 bag, ran into the tent. Opened bag up, got all lathered up in chamois butter, put on jersey,shorts,shoes,etc. Walked out and got sunscreened. Got on my bike.
9:47 was in the bottom 10% of racers. No potty break or anything. I am a talker as you all know. But I didn't sit down and chat. Michelle thought I must have been sick in the bathroom. No explanation for it, other than I guess slow is smooth and smooth is fast??

Bike 6:22:23


It was such a rush coming out of T1. I saw Joz and Angie as I got on the bike. Biking down Main Street with the cowbells and 1000's of people was exciting. I wanted to ride easy today.It was going to be hot, and I needed everything in me for the run. Spun up Mclean Creek. I didn't see any tacks, but saw tonnes of flats. Anyhow, road super-duper easy out to Osoyoos. Turned at the Husky and onto Richter's. Got in the granny gears and rode easy up the 4 tables of Richter's. Chatted with a few people as we were riding all of 10 km/hr. Really enjoyed the crowds once were closing in on the top. Saw Nate and his wife drive by in a convertible. High 5'ed the announcer guy at the top, and then hit 70km/hr on the descent. Few near misses on the way down. Momentum carries me nicely downhill. The 7 rollers weren't all that much fun, but got through them, and onto the out and back. Saw Richelle out there and then I hit SN. Stopped and grabbed my bag, and enjoyed some Salt&Vinegar chips. Took a boy's bathroom break on the roadside, and off I went to Yellow Lake. It's such a slow 17km climb, that sometimes you don't feel like you are climbing. I felt at times like I was just getting lazy on the pedals, as the false flats make you rethink your pedalling. Felt very TourDeFrance-ish as we were all single-laned in by people as we were hitting the top. AHA the top of Yellow Lake. It’s all downhill from here. Except when it's windy, like it was that day. So there was some free speed out there, but a few of the spots I felt like I had to pedal to maintain my balance and speed. But got through there and came back into town. Was great seeing the TriLife tent set up at Cherry Lane Mall. So of course I got a big cheer as I rode in past everyone, and back down to T2. Dismounted and gave my bike to another super volunteer.
Stayed on top of nutrition with the Infinit and some gels. Felt good coming of the bike. I think next time I could push a wee bit harder on the bike. I was pleased with how I executed the ride, but felt like I could maybe have pushed more. First time at the distance though, so I wasn't sure how hard to push.

T2 6:46

Blistering fast pace! Was a little freaky getting into T2, and seeing a guy on a stretcher and a guy puking as I arrived in the tent. I did chat here a bit. Full kit change, and out for the run.
Got sunscreened by the same girl again. I think she was waiting for me. She seemed to apply the sunscreen a little too slowly if you know what I mean. Michelle would have beat her up if she saw what this girl was trying to do to me! Some volunteers have all the nerve.

Run 5:21:46

I had no idea how this was going to go. It was hot. I had this crazy orange scarf that you could put ice into one end and then velcro around your neck. It was a lifesaver. I didn't need to worry about sponges in the top or anything. I looked a little like a boy scout, but looks were pretty much irrelevant at this point. Anyhow, I planned on running 5 min and walking 1 for the first bit. I wanted to keep my HR under control and not get too crazy on the way out to OK Falls. So ran through the first funky out and back in town. I KNEW this is where Michelle and the girls were going to be. I hadn't seen her since the swim, and the girls all day. Sure enough they were there with their "DADDY IS SUPERMAN" and "RUN FASTER DADDY" signs. I really did not want to lose it so early in the run. So I ran to them, gave them all kisses and told them I'll see them soon. Mike H was working the next aid station, so chatted with him as I started to fuel up. Really tried to drink a cup of water at every aid station, and if I wasn’t sucking back Pepsi, then it was a gel. Mentally I had to prepare myself for Cherry Lane. I knew Angie and some of the troops were going to be there, so I wanted to stay in control again. Got a big cheer and of course the dancers came out. Angie ran with me for a bit and I told her I had no emotion. Which confused her. Had I said what I meant “I am trying to show no emotion. I am doing a job right now, and can not show emotion yet” that may have been clearer for her. I saw Scott,Cindy,Carla out at Skaha just before it got smoking hot along the water. Once I hit the hills of Okanagan Falls, I knew I was nearing the turnaround.Saw Steve and Richelle on their way back into town. Got there, grabbed my S&V chips and some notes from the girls. I walked and ate my chips, reading the notes as I walked up the hill out of the turnaround. It sucked not having any water while eating those chips! I have the 3 notes from Michelle and the girls sitting here in our computer room at home as I type this. "Daddy don't give up. Just go again. Run as fast as you can. Daddy be as fast as a Superman.I love you Daddy, you have superpowers." That was Sarah our 4 year old's note. Reading them got me going again. It was so hot out there. Saw everyone on the way back – Leslie-Anne, Cindy, Danielle, Shannon,Ken and Rona caught me. She tried to will me along in the run but I couldn’t keep up with her. Plus she farted ALOT! Every aid station was stocked for me and I took advantage of anything and everything on the way back. Last few aid stations were 2 shots of pepsi, shot of chicken broth and a glass of ice water. Only in an Ironman does that combination sound good. It was nice when the sun FINALLY went behind the mountain top. I hit Skaha Lake and ran into Kelvin. I don’t think he knows how much of a saviour he was there. He was someone I knew. He was someone I could actually talk to and have it mean something. He rode and I walked up that last hill into town. I knew I only had around 8k left, and the day was going to be over. I came around the corner and Angie has waited there. Today was not a day about time goals, but of course we all set them in our mind. She asked me what mine was. I told her I thought 14hrs would be great, but super secret awesomeness goal would be 13:30. I had around 6.5k left and an hour to get there in to break 13:30. So off I went. The crowd started to pick up as I hit Main Street. Turned off left towards the out and back which sucked when the finish line is just to the right. And the damn turn around here is longer than it was on the way out. I kept running down to the turnaround, and once I saw our hotel I saw the family and the team. I lost it. I started crying big time. Ran up to the girls gave them big kisses and I'm sure the hugs were nice and sweaty. I thanked Michelle for being there for me through this all. Or at least I think I did. I was blubbering. I left with Michelle and Angie running with me but I left them in my dust for the last 700m. I was so focused on getting there before 13:15. I passed a few people before the blue carpet. I had it all to myself. I heard my name, looked at the clock and knew I was going to break 13:15. I did a few fist pumps and allowed myself to celebrate a bit, but didn't doddle, and crossed the line.

It was a hot,hot run. I probably could have ran a bit more than I did. But I enjoyed the run. I can't believe I can say that now. But I did feel like I enjoyed it. It hurt some, but I got through it.
I wish I would have celebrated a bit more in the chute. I don't know if I fully enjoyed that moment as much as I could/should of.

Crossed the line, had a couple catch me and grabbed a medal/ tshirt and hat. Mike and Scott bullied their way in and took over to get me a picture and sit me down. We chatted for a bit about the day,and they tried to give me some food but all I wanted was some water. I felt fine. Michelle came and rescued me from the recovery area and we gathered up my bike and bags. Went back to where the team was and ate a couple ham buns and a triple chocolate brownie ice cream cone while watching other come in.

I really enjoyed the day. I enjoyed the training to get me to that point. The late Monday night swims. The Tuesday night rides. The early mornings. All of it.

I can’t thank Michelle and the girls enough for putting up with me and my craziness leading up to this day. They made me feel like a superhero through it all. For those of you who know me well, it’s been an amazing 3 ½ years. I’ve transformed myself back into someone I enjoy being again.

Richelle introduced me to this sport and she was the first person I met in this crazy world. She provided alot to me along the way. She is such an amazing supporter and an overall great person.
Angie and all her hardwork made me feel like an athlete again. She knew what to say and what to do to get me to that finish line in one piece. I learned so much from her through the last few years. But the camp weekend and the ride home chat from taught me so much. Life and balancing it all. Training and family. I truly could not have made it here without her!!

All my training partners this year made all those long rides go by so much faster. Thank you Leslie-Anne,Cindy,Danielle,Rona,Steve,Ken and Shannon. Shannon you settled me down so much this week. Between the ‘short’ walks to the ice cream shop, and Josh entertaining the girls. You totally helped make this week easier for me with my family.

And to the rest of the TTL team – The support out here for each other is second to none. I thank you all for being a part of my journey to my 1st Ironman finish!
I’ll see you all soon!


13:14:41 I am an Ironman

No comments:

Post a Comment