Monday, September 12, 2011

Leslie-Anne's 2011 IMC race report

My Ironman Canada race report. Wow. NEVER EVER did I think I would be writing this.

When I started triathlon training I thought only crazy people did IMC. I mean, come on folks, really? 3.8km swim to an 180km bike then follow that with a 42.2km (as in full marathon) run afterwards? Yeahhhh riiiiiiiiiiiight.
So, here I am one fully certified crazy person who did just that. And to be perfectly honest, I FREAKING LOVED IT!!! 

In deciding to undertake the challenge of IMC, I talked to Angie about what was the training commitment. I was very concerned with the amount of time that I would need to give to prepare for a full ironman. Over a beer (natch) at BP’s in Cochrane one night I was advised that in order to get ready I must love training. It was discussed that I would be giving up weekend days, most weekday nights and would be more tired than I have ever been. Ok, I thought, I could do that. Told Roger about what was needed and he agreed to support me in my quest. I let Angie know that it was a go and the ball was put into motion, I was going to do IMC 2011. Helluva way to celebrate my 50th!

My ironman year fast approached after I got the crap scared out of me at the start of IMC 2010. I walked away sobbing with self-doubt not sure I could muster what was needed to get to the start. Later that night when I was a catcher and saw the athletes come across I began to believe. I really knew I could do it when I caught John Bosma. At that moment he became my hero and I continued to draw from his spirit as I prepared myself for IMC.

As far as the training, that was quite the deal! I was excited to reach the milestones that were set out for me. There were days when a long ride was Regina/Moose Jaw return (a 140km time trial actually, could that road be any flatter?). The long runs where I was plagued with “issues”, when I thought, “Just what the hell am I doing this for? Oh yeah, I will be an ironman” I heard from other TTL athletes about how IMC was “easy” because they were ready for it. I can say the same thing; the training laid out for me had me more than prepared. That was especially true when we all gathered in Penticton for the training camp. The swim was awesome, the bike was stellar and the run had me finally get the monkeys off my back about my “issues”. I knew I was on my way.

Next thing I knew it was “taper time” and our departure day for Penticton arrived! All 9 of us (my parents, 4 kids and my girlfriend Julie from New Zealand who came over just to see me cross the finish line, gee can you say “no pressure”?) headed west.

Our accommodations were out of this world and suited our numbers perfectly. It was an easy drive to join the others in our pre race meetings/workouts. It was funny to hear Shannon say how calm I was as she thought I’d be way more nervous. Ha! Little did she know that I was scared sh*tless and the outside in no way reflected the inside.
During my pre race meeting with Angie I disclosed that all I frustrated with making decisions regarding meals etc. In her calm manner, she told me that I needed to tell my family that I am not to make any decisions that the kids go to any other adult in the house and the meals were the meals were the meals. That helped along with the information regarding my nutrition for the bike. Here’s a tip for other IMC athletes in future, if you are meeting with Angie and it is at Smith and Company, please be sure that Angie’s back is to the door so she can’t see who comes in and they in turn can’t see her. That woman knows everyone and everyone knows her!

I attended the pre-race banquet and a friend of mine joined Trevor, Jason, Ken, Rona, Shannon, Cindy Danielle and I for supper. He had a great time and enjoyed our camaraderie. Numbers quoted that night included an athlete who has done 125 ironmans!

I equated my pre race brain numbness and emotional state to “pregnancy brain”, couldn’t remember anything, only focused on one thing, didn’t want to think and cried at the drop of a hat. I declared I had “ironman brain” same symptoms, same results!
This was particularly true Saturday before race day. Thank goodness for the smiles from Rona and Shannon who both told me to go for a swim and be in the place that calms me the best, the water. Before I could do that I talked to Angie, ok, cried to Angie. She along with my hero, John Bosma helped me to calm down. As John said, all I had to do was get to the starting line and all would be ok from there. It’s all “up here” as he tapped my forehead. What a gentleman to let me cry on his shoulders as I bared my soul and fears.
The swim helped especially sans the “black condom” (although my new-to-me suit rocks!). Later that day I got my bike into transition, ensuring bike bag and run bag in place soooooo weird to just hand it to someone and walk away! Time was drawing near!

The night before the race enjoyed a great meal with two more friends who came out from Calgary to cheer me on. Now there were 11 of us in the house and yes there was still ample room!
I put together my nutrition had just enough Infinit for the day! Yikes! Lucky me. Got my special needs bags ready to go and sat down to enjoy my pre-race ritual of a “wee drop of dram”. In this case about ¼ ounce (neat) of Forty Creek Rye Whiskey, Ken it was m-m-good.
Fell asleep relatively easy and next thing it was 4:00am on race day.

Race Day

Roger and Julie walked me to body marking and I had tears in my eyes as I kissed and hugged them good-bye. The night before I had written “Go TTL” on the road in chalk and smiled as I walked by it.

I handed over my special needs bags and stood to get body marked. I didn’t think I’d see anyone but lo & behold I did. Richelle ahead of me in the line, Michelle (Trevor was good she said, her Mom was there, Dad’s horse ok), and in transition our favourite wet suit “putter-oners” Tara and Kelly and later on Shannon and Trevor. As I walked through that pre race area I know I had “deer in the headlights” looks but I wasn’t alone!
Yeah for just long enough porta potty line-ups, wet suit on and next thing I know I’m walking towards the beach beside Shannon. At the last second before crossing the timing mat I grabbed Shannon’s hand, thank goodness she was there, she squeezed back and I got the internal ok that all would be right.
The Swim

I head for my spot, far left. I knew I would have a slightly longer swim but for me what is an extra 15-25m? Nothing when peace of mind with least amount of body contact is preferred.
What did I see in the distance hanging from the wall? Is that a flag in the green and white of my beloved Saskatchewan Roughriders? Wow, I thought another set of Priders in the crowd? Excellent! Hey, wait a minute that is my gang! WOW! My family got a prime spot. I head towards the flag and my daughter is hanging over the edge, she is crying and I tell her that I will be ok. (Jeez, am I kidding myself or I am I being truthful?). I say good-bye and head towards the far left. I find myself in a good spot, as there are few ahead, behind and to my left. The right side I wasn’t worried about. A quick dunk and “Oh Canada” starts I sing with pride, as I am Canadian! The gun goes and we’re off!

I knew within the 1st 100meters that I was going to have a good day. I was hardly touched and I could see my target. I could hear the helicopters as I began to swim my swim. Even strokes, no counting, and no lane markers I was in heaven! I was ultra relaxed and I simply swam for the sheer enjoyment. I approached “chaos corner” swung wide and used the current to my advantage. The next bit was a tad crazy but nothing to get me in a snit. I hit the second corner wide and see heads bobbing right beside the buoy. As I swam by them I wondered what was the reason they chose that line? Never mind I say, I’m heading home and it was a good feeling. I found the last 800m the most frustrating. Could any of the athletes that I was catching up and passing maintain a straight line? Cripes! I actually had to “sit up” to let two nimnods battle it out with each other without me in the middle! I hear Steve Kings voice, I see the bottom and know I can stand but not on those rocks, I continue to swim even though my hands are touching. I see the sand, I know I can now stand, I see the Rider flag I wave madly, Roger sees me, and I hear my name being called. It is my girlfriend who I’ve known since age 13 and is one of the people who got me hooked on triathlons standing knee deep greeting the athletes. A quick hug as I exit, another person calls my name, her husband! Wow! What a boost for me!
I get my suit stripped, (love that), get my bike bag and head for the tent. I’m in T1!

Time: 1:11:31 (I had more in me but hey, that bike and run were looming!)
8/96 W50-54. Overall place: 817. I’m good with that!

T1 was very cool! Wow, I was helped on with my socks, bike shoes, and glasses out of their case, helmet ready. I was spoiled! Glad I sun-screened pre race but took some extra just in case. A quick loo stop (note to self: Porta potty floors are slippery when wet and dangerous in bike shoes!) T1 Time: 5:52

The Bike

“This is it!” I thought as I got going, 180kms on a course that I had already ridden and for the most part enjoyed. The pre race decent on Yellow Lake was a good thing as I am not a fan of descending but as a result of that I knew on race day that I was going to use the free speed to my advantage. The cheers as I started the ride from the supporters were unbelievable especially those from TTL’ers who were there.

The ride out through town was great, next thing I knew I was at McLean Creek. It was a bit crazy going through the aid station as it was on a slight incline. I got some water and continued on my way. I was determined to enjoy this ride and kept my mantra going through my head “This is a “do” not a race”. I was surprised at the number of athletes who were changing tires and I thought I hope today I would not be one of them. I hit the flats after OK Falls and knew that I was keeping a good pace, staying “easy cheesy” and enjoying myself when all those “young whipper snappers” passed me ‘cause I knew I had them in the water (it’s a game I play what can I say?) lol.

What was that I feel? It’s like I’m riding on my rim, I look down and say out loud, “Sh*t”, SH*T!” a flat. OMG! I have to change a flat. Ok, be calm be controlled, this will get done; you can do it I said to myself as I came to a stop. I looked at my deflated tire. This would be the FIRST time I had to change a flat by myself. No kidding folks, the FIRST time. (See, there are still firsts for 50 year olds). I was in a flat sandy spot. I did not put the bike down, as I did not wish to loose my nutrition in my aero bottle. In hindsight find something to lean the bike up against or simply take the bottle off. I checked my time and then methodically take out my tube, Co2 cartridges, and plastic thingys to remove the tire. Ok I said to self, what did Richelle teach me at GWN? Oh yeah, break the bead, I got that done and removed the tube. Once the tube was out I threw the tube away from me as Richelle said to in order not to get mixed up. What was the next step? Check the tire for anything that might be embedded. I do so and as a result sliced the tips of my left ring and middle fingers. Now I was dripping blood. Nice. What did I rip my fingers on, a finishing tack. I thought it odd that such a thing would randomly be on the road. Later on I found out that this is not an uncommon thing as it has been a problem in the past few years. I also spoke to an athlete after the race that said there was someone from IMC when she went through that area directing athletes away from the sides of the road where the tacks had been spread.
I removed the tack and continued with my task dripping fingers and all. I am stressed and knew that my time was going to go to ratsh*t with this. That being said I had two options, freak out and not get it done or stay on course and get it done. I chose the latter and despite taking a long time I got it done. I stayed calm, as I knew that if I got upset I’d get flustered and that would cost me more. The nicest thing was someone came and offered help but I knew enough to say thanks but no thanks as I did not wish to get DQ’d for that. When I was finished and picked up my garbage a spectator indicated to put the stuff on the ground and they would put it in the garbage for me. How nice of them.
I lost close to 30 mins changing my tire but I did it. Next time it won’t be so long.

To quote a line from Aerosmith “I’m back, I’m back in the saddle again” and was headed down the road. I was mad and had to really work on not wasting energy with crazy riding but rather channelling it to my legs to ride smooth, even paced and relaxed. I stayed focused and kept praising myself for doing the change and getting it done. I take in water and fuel and kept riding. I was passing people and kept riding. I was going to be ok. Before I knew it I was at the base of Richters. Just after the Huskey corner I was behind a guy who was standing on his bike and it wasn’t water that I saw! Yuck! I was almost in a golden shower! Eeewww! I pressed on and utilized the stop just into the climb to pee and check out my tire and of course my fingers. Check, check and check. Good to go. I’m now into a climb and as happy as can be. I was behind someone and a bike marshal said something to me but I couldn’t understand what she said. Is suspect it was a warning (like at GWN), I was too close to someone on the early part of the climb. Must pay heed to that, no need to get a drafting penalty! I continued on and eventually made Richters, loved seeing the GWN north tent at the top. Loved the cheering and signage, favourite of mine as it was for others “You are all nucking futs”. Richters-CHECK!

The descent was awesome as I headed for the rollers. I looked forward to them and they were done before I knew it. Yeah there was a wind but I don’t believe it was as strong as it was at the training camp. Besides, given where we all train and the wind conditions as well, it was just an average day! Now looming was the out and back on the bike. I saw Richelle and Trevor and cheered them on as I headed towards special needs. Met Jason at the special needs point and discussed with him what foods I should take. I let the PB&J sandwich go, gels and my bonk bar. In hindsight I should’ve kept the bonk bar. I just didn’t think I could stomach solids and decided to make it a 100% Infinit day. A slow intake of the solids may have been better for me for later on. As I headed out I began to get a tad nauseous and decided that I slow up a bit while I dealt with the nausea. At one aid station a Japanese athlete was having difficulty with asking where the squirt cap water bottles were. I helped her understand there were none and she moved on. What a challenge I thought, to do a race where English is not the 1st language! Rollers and the out and back (latter was not enjoyed but utilized well)- CHECK!

The next part of the ride was Yellow Lake. I have to say, that climb is much easier on an empty bladder. (During the training camp I had to go and didn’t as we were all meeting at the top and had to get there by a certain time). As I neared the top I decided to use the last of my water to cool off when an aid station person advised me to save my water as they were out. WTF? OUT of water on the top of a climb a hot day climb no less? I got some ice, as I knew it would melt quickly and I’d have some water on the descent. Again, the supporters were amazing at the top and I absorbed the good vibes to focus on the next stage, the final descent into Penticton. I was calm and collected as I began and found myself repeating my new mantra for descending. It’s corny but it worked. “Use the force Luke, right hand rear”. The latter is to remind myself which brake is which! I actually passed people! Whoohoo!!! Skaha Lake and then Main Street that is one long street! I saw the pro leaders finishing and cheered them on. I focused on me; I had made it, 180km ride-CHECK!

Time: 7:16:32, 53/96 W50-54 Overall place 2231 I’m ok with this as I know without the flat it would have been much less. Still, I changed it and it stayed filled!

I was told that T2 was a negative place and to get the hell out of Dodge as soon as possible. I was treated very well by Tanya and regrouped myself with a bottle of water that she found for me. Hit the porta potties, “ a little dab will do ya” of sunscreen and I was off in good spirits for what would be my first marathon. T2 time: 8:00
The Run

I began with a slow run and to my surprise it felt ok. I saw my parents walking and yelled out and was very happy to be able to grab a hug and good wishes from them. They have been to my athletic events in my youth but none as an adult. In all the years I played rugby my Mom saw me once in the 1st years but my Dad never did. Here they were at IMC as very proud parents of an athlete.
Roger, Julie and the kids were further up and I was able to get more hugs and wishes from them. “RUN FORREST RUN” was chanted I loved it! (For those of you that don’t know, my maiden name is Forrest). Saw the female pro leaders finishing as I started as well which was exciting for me.
I was in a good place mentally and continued to enjoy myself. Saw friends along the way that encouraged me and another hug from Debbie and Byron who I met coming out of the water. I kept my emotions in check, as I had to keep breathing normally. Internals were behaving and as I approached Cherry Lane and the TTL tent I was smiling. As Angie checked in with me I told her I was good to go and hoped that I would be able to continue with the pace I was at which was approx 12:15-30 +/- per mile. The saving grace for me for the run was in place, a neckerchief that holds ice and as it melts in the pocket cooled me down. Tanya, you are my saviour. The ice on a sponge under my hat didn’t look cool but kept me cool.

Skaha Lake loomed in front of me, the heat beating down on me I stayed focused. Walked the aid stations, taking in water and getting more ice. I was still happy with everything but had a suspicion the return trip was not going to go as well but would deal with it then. I walked the hills to save my strength and cheered those that I knew on the return trip. I thought, “ I want to be them, I want to be on the return trip”. I flipped a silent bird at the places on the run that I had “issues” with during training camp and that motivated me to go on and next thing it was OK Falls, I was getting near the turn around point and my time was good approximately 2:30 ish. I understood my family would not be there as it was too much of a challenge to get all of them there (2 cars, 8 people)
As I came towards the pylon (gee is that all?) I saw the familiar Rider green and gasped with joy and almost started to cry as my entire family along with two more friends from Calgary that were there to cheer me on. I was going to stop and hug them but was told not to and I listened to them and kept on going. There is a picture of Duncan running beside me at that point. What a difference in my spirit as I turned around to go back, I knew then that I was going to make it. I had one HUGE smile on my face too!
Out I climb from OK Falls, I was one of them I was on the return. I knew Danielle was going to catch me and she did. Way to go Danielle! I saw Cindy, Shannon and Ken. Hugs and high fives abounded as we passed. Man, TTL is the best on course support ever.

Around the 15/16-mile mark I began to have some problems, no energy, nausea and had to slow to a walk. Not happy about that but knew I had to keep going forward. I took in coke, water, and ice and kept going forward. I ran when I could, walked because I had to.
The volunteers at the aid stations became my new best friends they were so supportive. I stated my need for “something” at a station and another athlete suggested the grapes. I hesitated as I had not tried them before and I didn’t wish to set off my internals (which by the way were still behaving) with something new. By the 17-mile mark I had to do something so I tried the grapes. WOWSA!! They became the ultimate thing and I took in grapes along with water at every aid station. The ingestion of the grapes did get things going internally and like GWN “perfectly placed porta-potties” were on the horizon at 18 and 20 miles. No line-ups just in and out. Perfect. I kept my mind on going forward, I enjoyed the music from the party boat, the fact when the sun went behind the mountains I yelled “Redemption is ours! Hallelujah!” The air temperature dropped almost immediately and so did my body temperature.

I continued to “cat and mouse” with several athletes and was no means lonely on that return stretch along Skaha Lake. I kept my run going when I could, walked fast when I could and asked as I approached the aid stations if they had grapes. One aid station volunteer had even taken them off the vines! What service! The grapes saved me from being one of the many athletes that were ill along the course. I did not want that for myself and fought the nausea off.
I made it into town, Wade Church from GWN was cheering athletes on at an aid station and was pleased to see another TTL’er come through. I was struggling but kept pushing on. I felt something on the bottom of my foot, I wanted to ignore it but Angie’s words of “Do not ignore it, as it will just get worse”. I had to check the bottom of my sock just at the entrance to Main St. There was nothing there but wet socks causing some friction. Did I have my spare pair of socks and 2nd skin with me? Nooooo I had forgot to grab them from my bike. I had to think “suck it up buttercup” and just deal with it and keep going forward.

The people that were still on Main St as I continued on were so good to me. “Keep going you are almost there”. I thanked them as best I could. Sometimes I couldn’t say anything I simply nodded and pressed my hands together as if I was praying (ok, I was). “Keep going you are almost there” it began to sound like the response to kids when they asked how much further and I would say, “It’s just around the next corner”.

At one point the streetlights were not bright, there were not a lot of people around I was really struggling with nausea and knew I had to take in some fuel before the next aid station or I was going to fall over. I spun a gel in my hand, struggling with the thought of the taste (vanilla), kept going forward, should I or shouldn’t I take some gel in? I decided to try a bit but with no water the gel was sticky and gooey and not what I wanted but I knew it would help me I kept on taking a tiny bit, I mean barely 1/4tsp worth. I decided that the gel was not the answer and walked up to a bus stop with two people in it. They watched me as I carefully placed the gel in the garbage. They wished me luck but I knew they wondered if I was going to make. At that very moment I went to the dark place in my mind and questioned that as well. Could I? Would I? How could I stop now? How can I keep going when I feel so shi**y? What can I do to finish? I kept going forward.
At the next aid station my intake of red grapes and water followed by a big ol’ belch (a sign of a fine meal in some cultures!) got me past the dark side and yes, I used the force!

I am now closer, there are more people and I catch up and past that I have been walking/running with for the last 5 miles. One person in particular I say, “Tall Guy (he was 6’6” or so), run the rest of the way with me” “I can’t Average Height Person, due to muscle cramps”. I kept on going forward. I am now on Winnipeg St. and Stacey (who is 5 months pregnant) ran alongside me “Are you going to finish this or what?!” I laugh and say “HELL YEAH!” I start telling people “Ohhh look at me, keeping up with the pregnant lady!” She cheers me on. Roger and Konrad are alongside Roger asking if I want to run with the Rider flag across the line. I decline as I have a Rider flag on my race-belt. I now have the BIGGEST smile on my face, I make the corner, I know I have to turn left and what a difficult left turn that is!

I’m on the stretch, could it be any longer? Cripes it is like that ride down Main Street on the last part of the bike! The crowd is cheering me on, everyone and anyone keeps saying “Go Leslie-Anne Go!” C’mon 3085 you are going to do it! The last aid station do I stop or don’t I? I decide to take in a few more grapes as I want to finish strong and I know I will do it with the intake. I finish, inhale, I see the pylon and I hear and see TTL. Angie is there, Tara tells me to give her the neckerchief I decline, as it is part of how I got there and I want it in the picture. I fix my hat ensuring my hair is tucked underneath on all sides and nose is wiped clean as suggested in the TTL Newsletter, thanks Cindy! Angie joins me on this last part. I see the Ken, the guy who got me thru the last part of the GWN run, he recognizes me, how cool to see him again!

Accolades abound and Angie directs them to me. “Can you see the green sign? That is the finish area Leslie-Anne you’re going to be an Ironman” Angie says, “I can and
Angie, slow down I can’t run that fast!” “Can you see the light? That is the finishing line! Leslie-Anne you’re going to be an Ironman” I am smiling more than ever.
Angie tells me she will stop at the blue carpet as that is the finishing chute, I thank her and I am on the carpet. I am going towards the light!

I see the Ironman Finisher arch, I hear people cheering for me, I hear the announcer call my name, I ease up ever so slightly so the athlete in front of me has his moment and more importantly so I can have mine. I grab the tape. I am finished! I AM AN IRONMAN!!

Time: 5:46:47. 49/96 W 50-54 Overall Place 1911 OMG I improved with the run!

I immediately see Bernadette, a co-worker who, along with her friend and daughter volunteered at IMC because of me. I jump up and down with sheer joy. I will admit I had no idea I jumped up and down until I was told and then watched myself later on. She puts the medal around my neck, takes hold of my arm and moves me towards the timing chip removal and picture.

I hear my name, it is Debbie and Bryon, soooo fitting that I see them right then and there, I hug them across the fence. My apologies to the volunteer who had to take my chip off!
I then see John Bosma (that was meant to be!). I thanked him again for all that he did for me as he hugged me as one Ironman to another. He is still my hero.

I get my picture taken; get some water and what I really wanted, a space blanket! For some reason that item was very important to me! Actually I knew once I started to cool down I would need it. I gather myself for a few minutes in the athlete holding area with Mike and Scott checking in on me. TTL once again is there. Our team rocks! I get some water and head off to the designated meeting spot where my family and friends would be.
I see my family; all I wanted was Roger’s arms around me. He smothers me; I shake with joy as I say, “ I am an Ironman”. Konrad and Connor then hug me. Heather and Duncan hug me. The beauty of having twins is the joy of having them hug me at the same time that joy will never fade. Duncan after that hug sobbed in my Mom’s arms. When asked the reason he was crying, “I’m just so proud of my Mommy”. I hug my Mom and cry a bit when I hug my Dad.
I get handed what I was looking for. Sharon and Dale who timed their holiday to watch me cross (and were at OK Falls too!!) handed me one ice-cold Pilsner beer. Oh my my my my did it ever taste good!

I gather my wits, my bike and my gear. We head home, I make some phone calls. One to a friend lives in Virginia who watched me cross. His question was to me, “How did you have the energy to jump up and down after all that you did?” My family are proud of me, I am honoured they took the time to keep track of me during the day. Yeah for live broadcasts!

At the house I grab a much-needed shower, and sit down to enjoy Moet & Chandon champagne. Roger dons his Rider bow tie for the occasion. I toast my family and friends who without I could not have done IMC. I thank them for what they gave me.
I was not feeling 100% and even after the dry toast (not the champagne, but actual toasted bread) I finally succumbed to the nausea that had plagued me off and on throughout the day. I tried to stay awake but to no avail. I thanked everyone, apologized for not being able to enjoy the camaraderie and went to bed.
Time: 11:29pm. My last thought was there were still people out on the course, I wished them well and said one more time, “ I AM AN IRONMAN”.

It is a day I won’t forget. I know already that I will do IMC again in fact I can’t wait to do it again.

Thanks to all the IMC volunteers, the race is because of them. Thanks to the members of TTL the continual support throughout the process and during was appreciated.

Angie asked at my post race meeting if I was physically ready. I was and then some. All the information given was utilized. “Solve each problem as they arise” and I did. Next time I flat I will be faster in fixing it. I look at my finishing time and know that a sub 14 was possible. That being said, the execution of my race was done to the best of my ability and for that reason alone I am mega proud of what I did and how I did it.

My coach gave me the tools that I needed to complete the race. She taught me how to use the tools to the best of what I could do. She reminded me that it is my day and no one else’s. She supported me when I was frustrated and filled with self-doubt. She taught me how to focus on my strength and quite honestly to “use the force”. Thank you Angie.



My family and friends have stated what an experience they had by the whole day. I am honoured that they came for me and cheered me on even when I may not have heard or seen them. Same to those not there but still followed my progress. Their support was unwavering and for that I am grateful.

Roger is undoubtedly my most avid supporter.

He became my manager asking what I had to do training-wise, making sure I ate enough, hounding me to go to bed earlier. How many times did I fall asleep with my head on his lap? He did shoulder everything and was with me every step of the way pre race and certainly during the race.
Without him becoming an Ironman would have been near impossible. Thank-you and I love you.

I realize this is a long report but I have tried to capture my thoughts and emotions as I competed at IMC. Preparing for this event was one of the hardest things I have undertaken.
I haven’t been that focused since I went to school and to be honest, I enjoyed it. Yes there were times when I was more exhausted than I have ever been. I got tired of saying, “I’d love to come but I have to train” “Thanks for the party but we have to go as I have to train in the morning” “Where’s Mommy?” “She’s training.”

When I was in the final stages of the run I have never wanted anything to end so badly and never before have I ever wanted that finish line so badly before either. Crazy huh?
The one thing that kept me going was the sound of the Youtube video that pokes fun at someone who is going to train for an ironman. All I could hear in the electronic tone was “I will be an ironman”.

I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment