Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Jill (Christine's daughter) at KOS

A proud mom is Christine! What an amazing day for Jill!

It is funny and strange to discuss her race day, while trying to convey thatI am not a weird "Triathlon Mom". She learned a lot yesterday.

She underestimated her swimming capabilities. She put herself at the back at the farside. She spent most of her swim fighting with adults and kids, once she gotout of the pack she cruised. She then got mad at her shoes and started tocry. In my kindest most loving way I said "if this is too stressful it is okay to stop - this is about fun, right". She was so sweet, she stood upstraight and said, no it is okay, I'll keep going. She was pretty casual onthe bike, I think that most of the "game" was out of her by that point. She finished the run with a bad cramp.

We talked about it afterwards and I asked her if she was able to learnanything about her race. She said that she should put herself up front inthe swim, wear different shoes and drink more ( I suggested that the crampsare from not enough water - that's what happens to me". She asked me whatwas my favorite part of the day and I said it was when I asked her if she wanted to stop - I was very calm and loving her as best I could when thingswere rough, and then she decided to work through the tough part. I also liked that we did it together. She was proud and I was proud. I also toldher, that is what makes good athletes, those that can work through theharder aspects of sports. She was a great athlete yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment