Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Steve Wood's hilarious 70.3 recap

The 70.3 was my first half. Had the best day the day before, Kelvin andSarah, Angie, Reena and some other non-team triathlete/cycling friends cameout for dinner to our place at Ghost lake. Kelvin stayed the night with us to get an extra hour of sleep but it was agamble as there was a three yr old in the house. My daughters told everyonein the village daddy was having a sleep over with a friend and his name isKelvin! NICE It was also Regatta Weekend at Ghost lake village and usuallythey have fireworks on Sunday. This year it was Saterday,1145PM..TERRIFIC......Then more fireworks of the natural kind at 0230. I am really starting to wonderabout this. Looks terrible outside at 0430. Might have stayed in bed if it wasn't for Kelvin reassuring me that the weather would be okay, I would not freeze to death etc.....

T1 was a mosquito infested swamp of mud and muck. Hate those stupid valveson race wheels, have not mastered how to pump up enough pressure (would appreciate advice on this). Never enough time, barely get to the start.Tread water for the start, bit odd but whatever...Swim was nice, no sun inthe eyes for a change, easy to sight.Then the race plan: Don't do anything stupid on the bike: LISTEN TO YOUR COACH. Held back as instructed, did nutrition on the bike (for once) asinstructed. Thanks to all of you at the aid station for coming out in a lessthan perfect day that was a HUGE boost. Bit after the Cochrane hill on 22was very nice and seemed shorter than expected. Coasted the last 10km. T2 okbut had to pee so bad. Can't do it on bike yet. Stop to water bushes for waytoo long. Get running REMEMBER ANGIE's voice in head: Hold back for first5km, DO NOT go out as hard as you feel like going. Legs felt really good,better than Olym distance so good thing I listened.Cramped up on first little hill at 3km!, scared me silly. So start holdingback more, feel good to the turn around. So pick it up a tiny bit for11-13km, now in pain, cramping on small hills. Reach point in race whereinsufficient blood flow to brain. Neglect to use gels in pocket asplanned,,,try coke, feel great for 1-2min after then crash again. Verypretty girl, not in race has been cruising the course, each time I see hershe tells me I look great....Delirious enough now to believe her....Hill outof the weasel head really really sucks, Left leg cramps all the way up (myhip adductors , why? they haven't done squat all day!) keep running, justwant this to be done. Thought I had something for the last 2km...didn't. Stumble along to finish line, some 30yr old kid passes me at 200m to go. Want to hurt him....Finish with chocolate gel I ate on the bike smearedall over my face.....see Sarah, she wipes it off but only after taking picture...

Have to say that afternoon and the next day I did not feel very keen to ever race again. Seemed like that was too much.I have to send RESPECT out to all of you who do the full iron man. Can'timagine it, not for me.Good luck to everyone at IRON MAN Canada. I will be watching. Stay looseand cramp free.

No comments:

Post a Comment