Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lake Chaparral Sprint Race Report by Candace

May I just begin by saying that I had the best day! Today ended up being a lot less about my times, and a lot more about finishing happy and healthy.
I got there super early for check-in and hung out until my 10 am startand watched the Olympic distance athletes. After getting beyond inspired by a female AWAD athlete, I felt excited to get started.
The Swim: I love the water, and I'm not sure I ever have anything else to say about the swim. It felt great, I got push around, I pushed back a little bit, and I finished under my goal time (even under my Secret goal time, by 43 secs!)
The Bike: Hills will be the death of me! The route was tough for me, and I had to tell myself a few times to suck it up and push harder. Today on the bike reminded me of how much work I have to do still, but still felt like a solid effort right through to the finish. I passed the same awad athlete on my first lap of the hill and on my second I came back around and she was having to call it a day at the top of the hill (and she was still giving shout outs from the van). This lady was really something special for me today. Came in below my goal, and just a few secs or so off my secret goal.
The Run: I love (and hate) that I got caught up in my personal goal of trying to just keep moving. No walk breaks. I didn't feel the soreness in my leg until the last 10 mins or so, and that just reminded me that it was an appropriate goal for this race. (still no definite word on if the injury is indeed a re-stress fracture of the old one, but is feeling better none the less). I could tell I was running far too slow when I was told there was 2 blocks left and I still felt fantastic..... I took the old man shuffle approach I guess.... so time, way under my goal, and I'm okay with that (this time).
At the end of the day, I'm happy, and re-inspired (which is what I've been yearning for). The race reminded me that it's time to get back into athlete mode, and to push past that feeling of being satisfied with finishing because that's just not my style. This was only my second ever triathlon, but it feels so nice to compete again, and I can't wait until I'm back to the athletic level I used to be (or at least closer).
On a side note, I can't believe how much support there is just because of the colors we wear. People have no idea who I am, and yet give specific encouragement to team tri life athletes. My favorite part of the day was when I was trucking along on the run and one of the Olympic men flew past me on his last lap (and I really do mean flew), but he let up for just a moment to shout back to me "Keep pushing Team Tri Life, make Angie proud!!"
What a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment