Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sue's Calgary 70.3 learnings:

Sue's learnings from 70.3 - always great to take away what your learned!

Other than being cold, had a good day. Some of the highlights include:

1. swim - about the same as last year, but OMG I got caught in a group of nasty women. I have never been pulled, pushed etc. like that - hightailed it to the side. Sighting went pretty good until the final leg, and then fogged up. Overall swim was okay.

2. transition 1 - I checked my time from last year, it wasn't as bad as I remember. 8:28 slow but because it was so wet, I actually used a bench, and I needed help from a volunteer to find my bag - it was kicked into the wrong row. 1/2 a check mark.

3. altered my goal of keeping a cadence of 85 (forgot how hilly the course is). But kept it to mid 70's for the most part on the hills, and 85 to 90 on the flats. And for Marc I never rode in a cross gear. Overall it is a check mark of that goal.

4. tried riding in the moment - that was hard. When it was raining I was so blastedly cold all I could think about was getting coffee at the end of the race. With the wet conditions I did slow down, I never ride in the rain. An attempt - needs work.

5. run - felt good, 2:14:05 including changing socks, bathroom break, and getting a rock out of a shoe. But ran the whole thing. Did the picking off the runner ahead thing (I guess that counts as running in the moment). Overall a big check mark.

6. nutrition - worked - I think I'll keep slamming the carb pro at transitions - it seems to work. Another check mark.

7. I was to report on the best calves. Failed miserably - but I can tell you about all the cute dogs on the course. In some ways I'm pretty pathetic.

8. goal of no involuntary release of bodily fluids - big check

9. having Carole and Dave as support at the end - double big check

10. found a new recovery ritual - stopped at a neighbourhood coffee shop on the way home, ordered an expresso malted milkshake and a large coffee. Sat in a hot bath and drank both of them. Never could do the contrast cold bath after a race, but I will do the cold/hot contrast on my innards anytime!

11. biggest thing, had fun - maybe I should just throw away my watch for races.

No comments:

Post a Comment