Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Candace's very first race! (coached by Angie)

Candace is new to our team! She bought a used bike and started training! Ally was a HUGE part of her day!!!! THANK YOU ALLY!! CONGRATS CANDACE!!!!! Read on!!!

Well..... my first ever race report.

The day started fairly well. I had been nursing a bit of a stomach bug so didn't get to eat as much breakfast as I probably would have liked, but that's alright. I was delighted to see a familiar face when I got there to check-in. It was so nice having someone help me with the little things, and keep my mind off of the starting line!

The Swim- This was the best part of my day, as I suspected it would be. I started way out to the right with the intention of getting in front of a few and cutting in which is exactly what I did. I even took the inside line on a few corners, and despite getting a little jostled, felt really good about it. I didn't push my pace on the swim, and actually felt like I was going a little slow, but wanted to keep it comfortable. Came across the mat at 12:12.

The Bike- Not a terrible day on the bike I must say. Though around the first corner going up a bit of a hill... what do I do but drop my water bottle! Ahhh!! Now because I'm not exactly in it to win it (at this point of my career) I decided water would be more important than a very extra minutes. So I pulled to the side and ran the 20 feet or so to get it, and hopped back on just to climb a hill with no momentum. I think the hills are what really threw me..... there was one that was just atrocious..... but I made, and saw Ally twice along the way who had lots of encouraging words for me which was nice. I even got to pass a few people on my ride! On the left!!! (there are no better words)Including both transitions, bike was 53:30.

The Run: Well, the run. This was an interesting beast. There were no mile markers which was really frustrating. I tried to make sure I wasn't pushing to hard at the beginning, but this is where my little stomach bug starting to creep up. I had to take a little walk break to let my stomach settle, and then decided on a steady pace that I knew could get me to the finish line in one piece. I asked a volunteer if she know how far we had gone and she said we were just over half way, and I wasn't feeling great so I slowed down just a little, but then not but 5 minutes later did I see Ally saying I only had 500 meters to the finish.... not that it would have changed anything in the long run, but I wouldn't have let up my pace had I known.

Big thanks to Ally on making me really puch my pace up the last hill and across the finish. Came in at 34:44Totaling 1:40:24 for my first race. So I'm happy. I made a few goals (which seemed silly because they were planning fo worst cause scenario, but that's kind how I roll) and I achieved them.

Goal 1: Not come in last..... Check!
Goal 2: time goals- Swim sub 15, Bike sub 1hr, Run sub 40..... (I know those times seem really high, but...) Check!

And then I had my secret goals...... I like to do this a lot......
Secret Goals: Swim sub 12.... soooooo close! I wonder if I can say it took 13 seconds to run up the dock, hahahaBike Sub 45.... ambitious and not even close, which I actually like, now my goal rolls-over to the next raceRun sub 30..... also very close, and I think on a day where my stomach was my friend would have easily been achievable.

So all in all a great first race. I spent the rest of the day sleeping and curled up with the stomach flu, so I'm happy that it held off until I was finished :) ...... can't wait for the next one!

Talk to you soon
Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment