Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What I learned at GWN 2010 by Sue (coached by Richelle)

Got home and thought about the race for a bit - I really enjoyed the day.

I think I made it under 6:14 which means I was within a minute of my personal best for Great White - not bad for whining about being under trained.

So what did I learn:
1. Egg sandwich for breakfast works (that was practice for Calgary 70.3 - eat breakfast on the bus)
2. Carb-pro at transition works - also gives me a bit of extra water, since I probably under hydrate
3. Sighting for my first lap of the swim was atrocious - I probably added 500 m.
4. Better sleeping through drugs the night before works.
5. It is a liberating experience not to use a watch.
6. I need practice at transition, I dawdle
7. I had to tell Marc he was right (even though I don't do that very often), he was right about just going out and enjoying the day.
8. Even though I was close to a PB it was worth stopping to talk to Marc and get a kiss (yes you can be sucky when you get old), and it is okay to break the rules and down 1/4 cup of Tim Hortons coffee on the run when you are cold!
9. I'm ecstatic I ran the 21 km - last couple of races I definitely did more walking than running.
10. Need to get a few long rides in, neck, shoulders and back suffered a bit.
11. A good race does wonders for your head space - I'm already looking forward to getting back to training - keep your fingers crossed for good cycling weather.
12. Pigtails work!
13. It means a lot to see a friendly face on the course - thanks for being there.

Your often silent and incommunicado client
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment