Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kent's 2010 GWN Race Report (coached by Angie)

PRE-RACE
This was a crazy weekend. I knew it would be going into it. My daughter qualified for the Alberta Long Course Provincial Swim Championships in Edmonton at the last meet of the season and sure enough it coincided with GWN. As much as I needed to focus on my needs and my race prep, I also needed to focus on supporting her. We changed our plans for accommodations so that I could still be close to Stony and Hope and Ella could be close to the Kinsman Centre downtown.

On the first day of the meet (Friday morning), who should I bump into at the Kinsman Centre… Angie! She was attending to one of her Junior Elite Triathletes. I was able to give her an update on my past couple of months of training and prep – I have always been notorious for being a poor communicator with my coach; I don’t know why she puts up with me! She insisted that I get a swim in at Hubble Lake if I could fit it in as I have not been able to get any open water swimming in so far this season – it’s also my weakest of the three disciplines. Fortunately, I had already planned on getting the swim in after race package pick-up

After bumping into Scott, Cindy and Alfred at the Arena, I learned that the lake was not as pristine as it has been in the previous 5 GWN races I’ve participated in. I don’t relish open water swimming, so this bit of news didn’t sit well with me. Turned out to be alright though. I learned a long time ago that spending a few minutes to blow bubbles in the water for a few minutes before venturing out for the swim does a lot for calming any jitters. Once again no problem. I hooked up with another group of swimmers (safety in numbers) and headed out with the intent to just swim out to the first buoy, turn around and head for shore. Once I reached the buoy, I felt good, and a couple of the swimmers I was with intended to swim a full loop. I decided to do the same. Great choice as I finished the loop feeling strong enough to do it again (I didn’t).

All set for Saturday morning’s TTL race prep session, which was a lot of fun. Really good to reconnect with the team. Again the swim went well – I felt ready to go. Well almost… I’ve been plagued with a shin splint problem in my left leg since finishing the Peach City Half in Penticton on the Victoria Day long weekend. It’s put a dent in my ability to run with any speed. It still wasn’t great on our quick practice loop at the lake. I would have to alter my race plan to compensate. Well, with that done it’s time to get some down time. Off to watch Ella swim a couple of events and get an early pasta dinner in.

RACE DAY
I had a great sleep – courtesy of the humidity in the Kinsman Centre. I woke up before the alarm and felt ready for day ahead. Quick breakfast of oatmeal, banana and yogurt and then grab my nutrition (something I forgot in a previous year) and gear before heading to the lake. I’ll spare all the little details, except to say I’ve “never” seen a porta-potty line run so quick and efficiently at “any” race… kudos to Wade Church for sorting this out.
A quick final dip in the lake to adjust the wetsuit and blow some more bubbles, and then back to the beach to prepare for the start. No jitters, no nerves. Just ready to go.

The swim executed perfectly. I seeded well. No collisions. I owned my space. I found feet to draft. I sandwiched myself between swimmers on my left and right and sighted well. I reached the first buoy quicker than expected. Same for completing the first loop. Same for the second loop. Completing in 40:05. 5 tenths/sec faster than in 2008 when I last raced GWN!
T1 was quick with one exception… getting my jersey on… my upper body was still too wet and I got tangled up – probably cost me a full minute getting it sorted out.

The bike was great. I knew I needed to hold back a bit to have a bit of a jump on the run. I “spinned” in my small chain gear for the entire course. I added time to my 2008 bike – about 6 min, finishing in 2:51. I finished feeling strong though, not being passed in the last 30km. The course is great for getting to see other TTL athletes working the course. Lots of waves and cheers exchanged. T2 was flawless. In and out in very little time. Angie has taught me well!

The run was a surprise. I thought I would struggle with my shin splint problem, and for the first 3km it felt like I was in for a world of hurt, but it never materialized. I focused on the task. Like just about everyone else from our team, I can’t thank John, Cindy and Richelle enough for the cheering and words of encouragement. Big thanks to Scott too. At the 18 km mark I was starting to lose focus and struggled with that nagging voice that says “just walk for a bit”. I can’t remember the conversation, but our quick chat got me re-focused to finish strong. 1:55:08 – almost a minute faster than 2008 and only 6 min off my standalone ½ Mary PB.
Final time was 5:26:26. 6 min off of my PB for this course. I had no time goal going into this race – only to gauge my training progress for IMC. Based on this result I think I’m on track. I’m also grateful for reconnecting with team mates that I haven’t seen for weeks. We are already starting to hook up for training sessions – so important to get through those really long rides leading up to the Penticton camp an the big race in August.

Congratulations to everyone who competed, and thanks to Angie for leadership, her patience (with me), and the knowledge and experience she shares with us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment