Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kelsey's 2010 Foothills Charity Tri Race Report (coached by Richelle)

Congrats to Kelsey for being the first PERSON out of the swim! She has also had foot issues which she pushed through to get the day done! Way to go Kelsey!

At the beginning of the race I was a little nervous, since the clouds were brewing thunderstorms, it was freezing and I wanted to brave the 60-degree water wetsuitless. Once I hit the water, I instantly got into race mode, and after the first three minutes I was in the lead. The swim felt very strong and I emerged out of the water first, feeling very confident and full of adrenaline. As I got to my bike, I felt my transition was a little slow and struggled clipping into my pedals.

The bike surprised me, usually being my weakest part of the tri, after the first 5km my legs just turned on and I was flying through my gears. As I approached the transition zone at the end of my bike, I was nervous about the run. I haven't hit rubber to ashphalt in two weeks due to my foot injury and wasn't sure how it was going to pan out. After the first two km's, my foot seemed to simply go numb and I pushed through the rest of the race. I had a strong finish which was great passing two girls on the home stretch. Overall, I am very happy about this first race of the season. I have my competitive hat on now and know what I need to focus on. I dropped 5minutes from last year and have a new PB now :)

Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment